How much Latin before Greek?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Hamilton
Textkit Neophyte

How much Latin before Greek?

Post by Hamilton »

If starting both languages from scratch, how far should one progress in Latin, before attempting Greek?<br /><br />Wheelock completely?<br /><br />I assume Latin should precede Greek, rather than vice versa, but I am open to suggestions.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:How much Latin before Greek?

Post by bingley »

It is (or was) certainly usual to start Latin before Greek. I did a year's Latin at school before starting Greek. I don't think it's necessary. I think most Greek books and courses (especially older ones) assume that you know Latin, but perhaps now that is an outdated assumption.<br /><br />If you've no experience of inflected languages starting Latin first might help you get your bearings more quickly because you don't have to start with the alphabet. But I would say learn Latin because you want to learn Latin, not because you think it might make learning Greek easier.<br /><br />If you want to learn both, go ahead and start them at the same time (if you have the time). Of course there are differences as well as similarities between them. You might find it confusing learning two slightly different things at the same time, in which case choose one to start with. It doesn't have to be Latin.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Personally I'd say none. Because that's about as much Latin as I knew when I started Greek (eventhough I'd had it as a main subject for 4 years ;) ). You don't really need to know any Latin to learn Greek, though most books I know assume you've learned Latin, but I'm sure there are some that don't.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

[quote author=Hamilton link=board=2;threadid=669;start=0#6334 date=1064068539]<br />I assume Latin should precede Greek, rather than vice versa, but I am open to suggestions.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />As others have mentioned, Latin has traditionally preceded Greek, but it's not clear to me that there is any sound pedagogical reason for this. Many older Greek textbooks will assume that you will have absorbed the technical grammar vocabulary from learning Latin, though, which will make using those older books a little harder for someone who has never before studied a highly inflecting language like Greek.<br /><br />But I don't think there's any reason to delay the study of Greek. Start with either. Start with both at the same time, even, if you have an aptitude for language. They're different enough that I doubt you'll confuse them.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

I started to learn Greek without any knowledge of Latin and (at least till now ;D) it works...:)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I did it the other way too... greek (koine) before latin, and just recently I started working on classical greek. <br /><br />If you are worried about confusion in learning two new languages at a time, I'd say half of wheelock should be sufficient. That is about one semester of work and will give you time to be comfortable with the language before starting something new.<br /><br />When I was in my third year of greek in college I did a semester of hebrew and it hardly felt like I was doing two languages because by that point greek was a normal part of my life, and not a new language. But I doubt you want to wait that long ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=William Annis link=board=2;threadid=669;start=0#6341 date=1064074474]<br />But I don't think there's any reason to delay the study of Greek. Start with either. Start with both at the same time, even, if you have an aptitude for language. They're different enough that I doubt you'll confuse them.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />You can keep from confusing them, but it's very difficult. (Is it macra? or magna?) However, although I love languages, I'm not a linguistic genius. If I can do it, you can, too.