Why an iPod?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
metrodorus
Textkit Fan

On Stress and Disease

Post by metrodorus »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 225228.htm

There is some evidence for a stress-disease link in certain cases.

Evan Millner.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Thank you, Evan. I didn't feel like hijacking my own thread, still it's nice to have some evidence to back up my claim.
It’s well known that exposure to viruses or bacteria causes disease in some individuals but not in others. This study helps clarify how the stress level of an individual affects the infection process and disease severity.
By the way, Will, I have no idea what Christian Science is — my assertions are derived from a variety of sources, mostly doctors whom I know personally.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Lucus Eques wrote:As for hearing loss, if I choose to exspect this, then I will have predisposed by entire psychology to achieve the end that my subconscious mind has accepted as fact. I will find myself in situations that might cause damage to my hearing, and I will end up subjecting myself to those affects. This is merely how human psychology functions.
Now I have to interject here, because, while I do believe that there is a significant psychological factor in health and illness, I think there is strong evidence that it does not work quite as neatly as you might wish it to. My father was an audiologist and I spent quite a bit of my childhood learning about hearing and hearing loss. One thing that repeatedly struck me was that the overwhelming majority of people who had noise-induced hearing loss tended to believe that the noise levels they were exposing themselves to (whether they be loud music, work-related, or whatever) would not harm them. (We see this all the time in teenagers who believe themselves to be invincible, but it happens in those who should know better, too). It was the (relatively few, at least back then) people who were concerned about their risk of hearing loss who actively did things (both consciously and unconsciously) to prevent it, such as wearing ear protection or avoiding such situations in the first place.
metrodorus wrote:Those little headphones you stick in your ear hole are really quite unsafe - especially outdoors, where there is ambient noise, you need to set the volume too high to be able to listen above the sounds of passing traffic,wind,etc and this results in hearing damage.

I have switched over to bigger and clunkier isolation headphones - the 'old fashioned' ones with pads that fit over the ears. These isolate the ambient noise, meaning that you can listen to the ipod at a significantly lower decibel level.
Excellent advice and right on point.

metrodorus wrote:There is some evidence for a stress-disease link in certain cases.
I, and probably most physicians, believe this statement.
Lucus Eques wrote:All disease is the result of one thing: stress.
I cannot believe this statement. It's far too absolute, and easily refutable by counter example.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re: Safer Headphones

Post by klewlis »

metrodorus wrote:Those little headphones you stick in your ear hole are really quite unsafe - especially outdoors, where there is ambient noise, you need to set the volume too high to be able to listen above the sounds of passing traffic,wind,etc and this results in hearing damage.

I have switched over to bigger and clunkier isolation headphones - the 'old fashioned' ones with pads that fit over the ears. These isolate the ambient noise, meaning that you can listen to the ipod at a significantly lower decibel level.

I enjoy listening to my ipod while I walk - I find walking and studying are conducive, and sitting too long does not suit me. I was getting slight tinnia from the old ipod headphones - the little ones that you insert in the ear. I don't get any problems at all with the isolation headphones.

Evan.
but the hitch is that if I am outside walking or running with headphones on, I *want* to hear the traffic and people around me... for safety reasons. I run with an ipod but the music is not so loud that I can't hear footsteps and cars approaching--it would be foolish to close those sounds out.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Socrates the Cyborg
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Socrates the Cyborg »

jk0592 wrote:To listen to your iPod in the car radio, you need a special accessory that you attach to the ipod and which then emits the music on a radio channel that your car radio will play. Sometimes it is noisy due the the frequency proximity of other radio stations.

Or if you are lucky, your car will be "iPod ready" by design.
I don't have either. The car I use has a tape deck, and we use an adapter that plugs into the headphone jack on the ipod connects with a wire to a cassette tape shaped object that relays the information to the tape deck in a way it can understand.

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 »

Well let us be glad that there are solutions for most configurations.
Jean K.

Eadmund
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Eadmund »

You really don't have a reason to own one, unless you want to listen to music in your car, but you might as well use CDs for that.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

I'm actually very happy with my iPod now. Using it in my car is extremely useful considering how often I change what I like to listen to, especially in Latin. All's good. Thanks again for the responses.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

latinloverfolife
Textkit Neophyte

Post by latinloverfolife »

DUDE I PODS ROCKKKK!!!!
YEAH MAN!!!