Gallic War Translation

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
MDS
Textkit Fan

Gallic War Translation

Post by MDS »

I am currently reading a translation (because I don't possess the Latin to read it in the original yet! :( ) of Caesar's Gallic War by H.J. Edwards. This was originally printed in 1917, my edition is from 1979. I was wondering if anyone knew if this is a reputable translator or if anyone can reccomend a superbly done translation. :) Thanks!

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Gallic War Translation

Post by bingley »

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

and you have used this translation yourself without any problems?

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

My apologies, I didn't read your initial post carefully enough. I thought you meant that you were using a translation because you didn't have a Latin text.

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Oh no problem, I will definately refer to the textkit one when I reach that point in my Latin studies. Does convince me to speed things up though!<br /><br />And bingley, in terms of latin texts, my university library has over 80 different editions of de bello gallico so I will have more choice than I really need later on! :)

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

As a postcript, I chose to read this particular translation because it has the latin on the left page and the corresponding english on the right. Interspersed throughout the text are pertinent illustrations (eg The bridge over the rhine, maps of the battles etc.). It looks really well done but I don't know enough Latin or enough about the translator to make this asssumption based on anything other than sheer looks. So if anyone knows better than me feel free...