Textkit Logo

Terminology question

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Terminology question

Postby Lex » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:10 pm

Let's say that I'm trying to write a Greek/English flash card program using Visual Basic and an Access database. And let's say that in this program, I intend to group words in the database together in a fashion that makes a modicum of sense. For example, the words:<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]<br />lu/w, lu/eij, lu/ei, lu/omen, lu/ete, lu/ousin<br />[/face]<br /><br />would be grouped together under the first person singular [face=SPIonic]lu/w[/face].<br /><br />And [face=SPIonic]i(/ppoj, i(/ppe, i(/ppon, i(/ppou, i(/ppw|[/face], etc., would all be grouped together under the nominative singular [face=SPIonic]i(/ppoj[/face].<br /><br />Is there a proper term that describes both nominative singular declensions and first person singular conjugations? Base? Root? None of these seem quite right.<br />
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Re:Terminology question

Postby Jeff Tirey » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:24 pm

The only thing i have seen is just "paradigm"
Textkit Founder
Jeff Tirey
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lex » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:33 pm

[quote author=jeff link=board=2;threadid=658;start=0#6204 date=1063808659]<br />The only thing i have seen is just "paradigm"<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yeah, but a paradigm is the entire pattern that you use to incline the words, or so I understood. <br /><br />I suppose it's not all that important what I call a field in a database, anyway. Nobody is going to see field names, if I get the program to handle everything the way I want it to. But I'm anal that way. :-[
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Postby Clemens » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:52 pm

Is there a proper term that describes both nominative singular declensions and first person singular conjugations?
<br />The German word "Wörterbuchform" describes the form of the word that you can find in the dictionary. Maybe there is an English equivalent... ???
Clemens
Textkit Member

Postby Lex » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:57 pm

[quote author=Clemens link=board=2;threadid=658;start=0#6207 date=1063810372]<br />
Is there a proper term that describes both nominative singular declensions and first person singular conjugations?
<br />The German word "Wörterbuchform" describes the form of the word that you can find in the dictionary. Maybe there is an English equivalent... ???<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Dictionary form? Hmmmm, that will work as well as anything else, I suppose. Thanks.
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Postby klewlis » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:01 pm

It's properly called the "lexical form", as in the form you use to look it up in the lexicon :)
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Jeff Tirey » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:12 pm

[quote author=Lex link=board=2;threadid=658;start=0#6205 date=1063809230]<br />[quote author=jeff link=board=2;threadid=658;start=0#6204 date=1063808659]<br />The only thing i have seen is just "paradigm"<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yeah, but a paradigm is the entire pattern that you use to incline the words, or so I understood. [/quote]<br /><br />That's very true but I have also seen it used with just the first person singular present active of a verb.
Textkit Founder
Jeff Tirey
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Paul » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:38 pm

[quote author=Lex link=board=2;threadid=658;start=0#6208 date=1063810649]<br />[quote author=Clemens link=board=2;threadid=658;start=0#6207 date=1063810372]<br />
<br />The German word "Wörterbuchform" describes the form of the word that you can find in the dictionary. Maybe there is an English equivalent... ???<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Dictionary form? Hmmmm, that will work as well as anything else, I suppose. Thanks.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hi,<br /><br />You might try the english word 'lemma'.<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul<br />
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby Lex » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:14 pm

[quote author=jeff link=board=2;threadid=658;start=0#6210 date=1063811522]<br />[quote author=Lex link=board=2;threadid=658;start=0#6205 date=1063809230]<br />Yeah, but a paradigm is the entire pattern that you use to incline the words, or so I understood. [/quote]<br /><br />That's very true but I have also seen it used with just the first person singular present active of a verb.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />OK, I didn't know that. <br /><br />Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I think I'll use "lexical form". "Lemma" brings back too many painful memories of math courses I've had in the past. ;)
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek