Textkit Logo

what's the original form of this word?

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

what's the original form of this word?

Postby MAHaifeng » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:22 pm

:cry: I am trying to translate Cato's "de Agri Cultura", but one sentence got me, I refered to the Latin-English dictionary again and again to understand the meaning of the word "siet", but what depressed me was that I couldn't find this word, is anybody here who can help me? I will really appreciate your help.Thanks.
phpbb
MAHaifeng
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Gonzalo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:35 pm

It's the manner in which Cato uses sit (third person, singular, present of subjunctive mode of esse, to be), as far as I can understand. I have read an excerpt or selection published by Hans Orberg in a book entitled Sermones Romani (which includes I,2 from De Agri Cultura) and there's a note which states:
siet, sient=sit, sint

Regards
Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby adrianus » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:11 am

This is just to confirm what Gonzalo is saying for the present subjunctive of esse, from the note in Allen and Greenough, New Latin Grammar, section 170, b of the old forms siem sies siet simus sitis sient for sim sis etc as Gonzalo says. Just another source to look up.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin