Terminology question

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Terminology question

Post by Lex »

Let's say that I'm trying to write a Greek/English flash card program using Visual Basic and an Access database. And let's say that in this program, I intend to group words in the database together in a fashion that makes a modicum of sense. For example, the words:<br /><br />[size=150]λύω, λύεις, λύει, λύομεν, λύετε, λύουσιν<br /><br />would be grouped together under the first person singular [size=150]λύω.<br /><br />And [size=150]ἵππος, ἵππε, ἵππον, ἵππου, ἵππῳ, etc., would all be grouped together under the nominative singular [size=150]ἵππος.<br /><br />Is there a proper term that describes both nominative singular declensions and first person singular conjugations? Base? Root? None of these seem quite right.<br />
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re:Terminology question

Post by Jeff Tirey »

The only thing i have seen is just "paradigm"
Textkit Founder

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

[quote author=jeff link=board=2;threadid=658;start=0#6204 date=1063808659]<br />The only thing i have seen is just "paradigm"<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yeah, but a paradigm is the entire pattern that you use to incline the words, or so I understood. <br /><br />I suppose it's not all that important what I call a field in a database, anyway. Nobody is going to see field names, if I get the program to handle everything the way I want it to. But I'm anal that way. :-[
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

Is there a proper term that describes both nominative singular declensions and first person singular conjugations?
<br />The German word "Wörterbuchform" describes the form of the word that you can find in the dictionary. Maybe there is an English equivalent... ???

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

Clemens wrote:<br />
Is there a proper term that describes both nominative singular declensions and first person singular conjugations?
<br />The German word "Wörterbuchform" describes the form of the word that you can find in the dictionary. Maybe there is an English equivalent... ???<br />
<br /><br />Dictionary form? Hmmmm, that will work as well as anything else, I suppose. Thanks.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

It's properly called the "lexical form", as in the form you use to look it up in the lexicon :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=Lex link=board=2;threadid=658;start=0#6205 date=1063809230]<br />[quote author=jeff link=board=2;threadid=658;start=0#6204 date=1063808659]<br />The only thing i have seen is just "paradigm"<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yeah, but a paradigm is the entire pattern that you use to incline the words, or so I understood. [/quote]<br /><br />That's very true but I have also seen it used with just the first person singular present active of a verb.
Textkit Founder

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Lex wrote:<br />
Clemens wrote:<br />
<br />The German word "Wörterbuchform" describes the form of the word that you can find in the dictionary. Maybe there is an English equivalent... ???<br />
<br /><br />Dictionary form? Hmmmm, that will work as well as anything else, I suppose. Thanks.<br />
<br /><br />Hi,<br /><br />You might try the english word 'lemma'.<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul<br />

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

[quote author=jeff link=board=2;threadid=658;start=0#6210 date=1063811522]<br />[quote author=Lex link=board=2;threadid=658;start=0#6205 date=1063809230]<br />Yeah, but a paradigm is the entire pattern that you use to incline the words, or so I understood. [/quote]<br /><br />That's very true but I have also seen it used with just the first person singular present active of a verb.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />OK, I didn't know that. <br /><br />Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I think I'll use "lexical form". "Lemma" brings back too many painful memories of math courses I've had in the past. ;)