Textkit Logo

matt 11:12

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

matt 11:12

Postby joseph47parker » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:05 pm

I'm not sure if this verse has been discussed here before, but I couldn't find anything when I searched for it. I'm wanting to get some various view points on this verse. The text in Greek leaves one perplexed, should βιαζεται and βιασται it be seen the passive or middle? Should they both be translated in the same voice? Is there a tie in to Micah 2:12-13? Then what is the significance of this verse in context and is there any connection that one should tie into Luke 16:16. There are several ways one could translate this verse. Please let me know the translation you like and why and what the implications for that translation would be. Thanks.
joseph47parker
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:47 am

Re: matt 11:12

Postby Bert » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:23 am

joseph47parker wrote:.... The text in Greek leaves one perplexed, should βιαζεται and βιασται it be seen the passive or middle? ....
The first word is a verb and in this verse pretty well has to be passive. The second is a noun so passive or middle is not an issue.
Bert
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 2:28 am
Location: Arthur Ontario Canada

Re: matt 11:12

Postby Bert » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:24 am

Bert wrote:
joseph47parker wrote:.... The text in Greek leaves one perplexed, should βιαζεται and βιασται it be seen the passive or middle? ....
The first word is a verb and in this verse pretty well has to be passive. The second is a noun so passive or middle is not applicable.
Bert
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 2:28 am
Location: Arthur Ontario Canada

Postby Kasper » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:35 am

Come on Bert, quoting yourself doesn't add weight to your argument.
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”
Kasper
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:01 am
Location: Melbourne

Postby edonnelly » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:08 am

Kasper wrote:Come on Bert, quoting yourself doesn't add weight to your argument.


Maybe he just couldn't wait to get to the 1600 posts mark. Wow.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library
User avatar
edonnelly
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:47 am
Location: Music City, USA

Postby joseph47parker » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:53 pm

joseph47parker
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:47 am

Postby Kopio » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:52 am

User avatar
Kopio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Boise, ID

Postby Bert » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:56 am

Kasper wrote:Come on Bert, quoting yourself doesn't add weight to your argument.

Well, I thought it looked good that somebody agreed with me. Even used my words to prove his point.
Actually, I don't know what happened. (The 1600th post is just a bonus :))
Bert
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 2:28 am
Location: Arthur Ontario Canada


Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests