Textkit Logo

adelphos

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

adelphos

Postby bingley » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:51 pm

I see from LSJ (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... %3D%231212) that [face=SPIonic]a)delfo/j [/face] means brother or more specifically son of the same mother.<br /><br />Does this mean it usually refers to half-brothers? If so, what about half-brothers through the father or full brothers? What were they called?
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:adelphos

Postby Emma_85 » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:09 pm

As far as I know, [face=SPIonic]adelfov[/face] is not only used to refer to half-brothers, but just brothers in general. I'm not too sure about half-brothers from the fathers side, as it means son of the same mother... I'd have to ask my teacher...
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby greagach » Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:54 pm

indeed, [face=SPIonic] a)delfo/j [/face] is the general term for "brother". What is written on LSJ obviously refers to the etymology of the word: "having shared the same womb". <br /><br /> If one wants to specify the kind of brotherhood relationship, one would have to use one of the following:<br /><br /> born of the same parents: [face=SPIonic] au)ta/delfoj , a)mfiqalh/j [/face]<br /> sharing only one common parent: [face=SPIonic] <br />e(teroqalh/j , a)llhlopro/gonoj [/face], and more specifically of the same father: [face=SPIonic] <br />o(mopa/trioj [/face], and of the same mother: [face=SPIonic] o(momh/trioj , o(moga/strioj [/face]<br /> <br />and to put it the other way round,<br /> sharing a different father: [face=SPIonic]<br /> a)mfipa/trioj[/face], <br />or a different mother: [face=SPIonic] a)mfimh/trioj , <br />e(teromh/trioj , e(teroga/strioj [/face] <br /><br /> but as if this weren't enough, the Greeks wanted to further insist on brotherhood, having the word [face=SPIonic] o(moga/laktoj [/face], for brothers who, even if they weren't born by the same parent, at least they were breast-fed by the same mother or wet-nurse.<br /><br /> and then, there are words like [face=SPIonic] <br />o(mai/mwn , su/ggonoj [/face]. But thank God, like in most cases, all these synonyms make really good sense in their structure, are easy to pronounce, to analyse and thus to comprehend.
phpbb
greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Postby bingley » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:39 am

Thank you, greagach
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Beyonder » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:50 am

[face=SPIonic] Delfo/j [/face] is the womb<br />Using the (sometimes) imperative 'A' we have a meaning of those from the same womb.<br /><br />Also check that womb in Greek is [face=SPIonic] Mh/tra [/face] and from the same root we have [face=SPIonic] Mh/thr, Ma/thr [/face] in Latin:Mater, German:Mutter, English:Mother<br /><br />Take Care,<br /><br />Giw/rgoj
phpbb
Beyonder
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Keesa » Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:54 pm

Where does philos fall into the picture? It means something like "brotherly love," doesn't it? Or have I gotten it mixed up with something else (again)? <br /><br />Keesa
phpbb
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Postby klewlis » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:02 pm

philos = loved, beloved, dear, or (substantive) friend<br /><br />so philadelphia = philos + adelphos = (loosely) brotherly love<br /><br />(which is probably what you were thinking of, no?)
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keesa » Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:32 pm

No, not actually...I had forgotten Philadelphia. I was actually thinking about philos, stoge, agape, and discussing them with a friend the other day. <br /><br />I had always heard Philadelphia translated "City of Brotherly Love," from philos, brotherly love, and delphia, city. You say it is from philos+adelphos. Was I mistaken? <br /><br />Keesa
phpbb
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Postby klewlis » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:06 pm

I don't know... you're the american ;)
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Emma_85 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:32 pm

Klewlis is right Keesa :)<br />City is either polis, astu or ptoliethron (Homer).
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keesa » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:52 pm

Oh, thank you! I was quite clearly confused...my usual state of mind! ;)<br /><br />Keesa
phpbb
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek