greek numbers

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
klewlis
Global Moderator

greek numbers

Post by klewlis »

check this article:<br />http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/natu ... 806.stm<br /><br />interesting... but in the illustration, what is the character used for 6??? i've never seen that before...
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Re:greek numbers

Post by greagach »

<br /> well, just another theory in the series of "ex Oriente lux" (or shall we call them "out of Africa"?)...<br /><br /> My experience is that the alphabet has never ceased to serve as a numerical system in the Greek-speaking world (as has the Hebrew one in parallel use with Arabic numerals), although to a lesser extent nowadays, but definitely not "until the fall of the Byzantine Empire in the 15th century"...<br /><br /> the character for "six" is the stigma one, only without the first leg on that really bizarre format... <br /><br />but that's BBC for you...
αἴτιον: ἡ ψυχὴ μετὰ λόγου· συναίτιον: τὸ πῦρ [Ἡράκλειτος]

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

stigma one?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Hmm. Do you think this is equivalent to the Romans' use of letters to make Roman numerals?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=2;threadid=644;start=0#6077 date=1063659899]<br />stigma one?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Also known as digamma or vau. It was part of the adaptation of the Phoenician alphabet to write Greek, but the sound it represented dropped out of the language pretty quickly. Of course in English this would not be a problem and we would still have it ;D but the Greeks took a more pragmatic approach and dropped the letter as well except as a numeral. In one form it continued to be used by some people for [size=150]στ.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

There're [size=18=12]J’(koppa) and [size=18=12]`’(sampi) for 90 and 900, too.<br />Apparently digamma(vau) is from vau of phoenician, and koppa is from qoppa, but I cannot guess where sampi is from. A greek invention?

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=2;threadid=644;start=0#6084 date=1063669259]<br />Hmm. Do you think this is equivalent to the Romans' use of letters to make Roman numerals?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Roman numerals are said to come from tally markings, AFAIK. Their similarity to some of the alphabet charecters being a coincidence.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

tally marks, really?<br /><br />wheelock says the lines represent fingers, and the V an open hand. you can hold up four fingers and then IV is a hand less one finger... VI is a hand plus a finger... etc. :)

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Possible. <br />I read the story about the tally system in a book before. Can be only a conjecture, but a feasible one.<br />Check out here.<br />

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

Also known as digamma or vau...
<br /><br />I don't think that digamma and stigma are the same. ???

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

[quote author=mingshey link=board=2;threadid=644;start=0#6089 date=1063678149]<br />Apparently digamma(vau) is from vau of phoenician, and koppa is from qoppa, but I cannot guess where sampi is from. A greek invention?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Also from Phoenecian, I believe. There are several kinds of 's' sound to choose from in most of these semitic languages, and the alphabet reflects that. Also several kinds of 't' and what most poeple would hear as 'k'.<br /><br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Clemens wrote:<br />
Also known as digamma or vau...
<br /><br />I don't think that digamma and stigma are the same. ???<br />
<br /><br />They are not. <br /><br />Edit: How annoying. Goodwin says that stigma is a strange form of the digamma. But then he goes on to write the digamma form I'm used to.<br /><br />Stigma sounds 'st', and I've only ever see it in very old Greek books printed on the continent (France, Germany, Italy). It was quite a surprise when I first saw [size=150]ἐστὶ written with the stigma.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

so when did these other letters drop out of use? <br /><br />and what do the others look like?<br /><br />I don't think I've ever known about this before! :)