prin... prin. + infinitives

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
megas_yiannakis

prin... prin. + infinitives

Post by megas_yiannakis »

XAIPETE! :D

Line 98-99, iliad book 1:

π?ίν γ' από πατ?ί φίλωι δόμεναι ελικώπιδα κο??ην απ?ιάτην ανάποινον, άγειν θ' ιε?ήν εκατόμβην ες Χ??σην.

im abit confused why αποδίδωμι and άγω are in the infinitive form here... has it got something to do with the π?ίν... π?ίν construction?

Pharr says in a note to translate it as "he will not sooner frive off pestilence... till (we) give back..."

How did he get to that? lol i understand whats the passage is saying, but would just like to know about the construction and the infinitives... thanks alot :D

John.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: prin... prin. + infinitives

Post by modus.irrealis »

Yup, it's because of the π?ίν -- well the second π?ίν. The most common construction in Homer with π?ίν used as a conjunction is to have the verb be in the infinitive. The first π?ίν is just an adverb, also meaning "before", but I think it's pretty common to see two π?ίν together like in this case.

For the Pharr note, he's translating the first π?ίν as "sooner" and the second π?ίν as "till." If you think about it, "he won't do X before Y happens" is pretty much the same as "he won't do X until Y happens" and generally speaking when the main verb is negated π?ίν means "until."

megas_yiannakis

Post by megas_yiannakis »

thanks tons that makes sence now!

Pharr (also in the notes says though) that the subject of αποδίδωμι is most probably Apollo; if so why does he translate: ... " we give back "... if Apollo is the subject shouldnt it be: ... "he gives back"... or am i confusing my subjects? lol... :D

Many thanks.

Ιωάννης.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

megas_yiannakis wrote: ...Pharr (also in the notes says though) that the subject of αποδίδωμι is most probably Apollo; if so why does he translate: ... " we give back "... if Apollo is the subject shouldnt it be: ... "he gives back"... or am i confusing my subjects?
Agamemnon, not Apollo. I think Pharr is saying that the way it is written, it is a little ambiguous for a reason, ie; Calchas doesn't want to upset Agamemnon if he doesn't have to.
I guess the same ambiguity could be conveyed in English with something like; "...He will not drive the grievous destruction away for the Danaans
untill the bright eyed girl has been given back to her loving father,
..."