salveo, salvere

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
MDS
Textkit Fan

salveo, salvere

Post by MDS »

In Wheelocks Ch. 1 (we move very slowly at school I know!) it lists:<br /><br />salveo, salvere: to be well, be in good health<br /><br />If this is a verb and since verbs have 4 principle parts (which was mentioned the page before the vocab) then why are the 3rd and 4th ones not mentioned? Is this one of those incomplete verbs mentioned in another thread where the 3rd and 4th principle parts mentioned have been lost in antiquity? I know this is a minute point but it bugged me nonetheless! :) Thanks for your help.

phil
Textkit Fan

Re:salveo, salvere

Post by phil »

Salveo does only have two principle parts:<br /><br />http://www-personal.umich.edu/~markusdd ... sg.html<br /><br />I remember reading somewhere that the word is almost exclusively used in the imperatives, singular and plural, and for not much else. Could be wrong though.<br /><br />

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Thanks for the link Phil, it was very helpful!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Yep, Phil is certainly correct. We do, however, see some related words in salus, salutis and saluto, salutare, salutavi, salutatum (among others), all pertaining to good health.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae