Chapter IX: Martial 12:10

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
Kimble
Textkit Neophyte

Chapter IX: Martial 12:10

Post by Kimble »

"Satis"

In the translation at the end of Chapter 9, Wheelock gives the definition of "capto, -are" as "hunt for legacies," but that doesn't make sense in the translation:

Habet Africanus miliens, tamen captat.
African has millions, nevertheless he hunts for legacies.

Capto, -are is a transative verb, so I assume it refers back to miliens.

Has millions of what? Millions of legacies? I get the sense the miliens means the same for Martial what it would for us today: millions of dollars.

I looked up several meanings for capto, -are. "try/long/aim for, desire; entice; hunt legacy; try to catch/grasp/seize/reach (Whitaker, Latin Words)", "to catch at eagerly; to keep reaching for; to try to catch, case after; to strive after, long for, desire earnestly (Traupmann, New College Latin Dictionary, New York: bantam, 1966)

"Africans has millions (of dollars), nevertheless he grasps/longs for/ strives for (more)."

I did a web search for Martial 12:10 and that does seem to be the meaning of the epigram.

Now, far be it from me to criticize Martial's writing ;). Shouldn't Wheelock given a better definition for capto,-are?

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

You're doing well, now also look up miliens in your dictionary.
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”