Latin Tongue-twisters

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
benissimus
Global Moderator

Latin Tongue-twisters

Post by benissimus »

Tongue-twisters in many languages, including Latin, but not Greek: http://www.uebersetzung.at/twister/index.htm
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:Latin Tongue-twisters

Post by benissimus »

Oh... there is Greek, but I have no idea whether it is Classical or Modern or if they even distinguished between the two.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Oi! Where is my brain?! It must be Old Greek because there was a quote by Demosthenes.
Last edited by benissimus on Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Number 7(Latin) is the famous "Tete roro mama nunu dada tete lala tete."<br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Which language is that for Mingshey?<br /><br />I like this one in English: "I wish to wish the wish you wish to wish, but if you wish the wish the witch wishes, I won't wish the wish you wish to wish. "<br />That will test your fluency (and memory) :)

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=16;threadid=638;start=0#5998 date=1063542191]<br />Oi! Where is my brain?! It must be Old Greek because there was a quote by Demonsthenes.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I see some modern phonemes and prepositions. So classical and modern greek are mixed with no distinction there, I would say.<br /><br />Number 26(Greek :)) sounds like this in modern pronunciation:<br /><br />i spani ispani is pani ispaniko, is paniko ispaniko ezografoon.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Neat site! I love tongue twisters...I did pretty well on the wish to wish one, but some of the others are HARD! ;D<br /><br />Keesa

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Some of the evil ones are designed to make you swear. My great-grandmother taught me this one:<br /><br />I slit a sheet<br />A sheet I slit<br />Upon a slitted sheet I sit<br /><br />Say it three times :)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

But don't say it three times fast out loud! :P<br /><br />Keesa