Textkit Logo

crazy quam

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.

crazy quam

Postby klewlis » Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:52 pm

wheelock 17<br /><br />quam difficile est bona aut dulcia ex bello trahere<br /><br />I scratched my head for a long time on this one and came up with:<br /><br />It is difficult to derive good or sweet things from war.<br /><br />but then quam isn't doing anything. But I don't see how it can because it is feminine accusative singular and everything else seems to be neuter. <br /><br />so why is the quam there?<br /><br />(other than the fact that this chapter was about qui quae quod)<br />
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re:crazy quam

Postby benissimus » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:00 pm

Quam means "how" as an adverb. Therefore this sentence:<br />quam difficile est bona aut dulcia ex bello trahere<br /><br />Should be translated as:<br />How difficult it is to carry either good or pleasant things out of war
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re:crazy quam

Postby klewlis » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:05 pm

ohhhh..... ok thanks :)<br /><br />in a chapter on relative pronouns I assumed that's what it was and forgot about the adverb!
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Wheelock's Latin