Textkit Logo

odyssey 1.18

Are you reading Homeric Greek or studying Homeric Greek with Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners? Here's where you can meet other Homeric Greek learners. Use this board for all things Homeric Greek.

odyssey 1.18

Postby klewlis » Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:07 pm

[face=SPIonic]oud enqa pefugmenoj hen aeqlwn[/face]<br /><br />the translation says this is "not even there was he free from toils"<br /><br />I don't get it. :)<br /><br /><br /><br />[face=SPIonic]pefugmenoj[/face] is "having fled", is it not?<br /><br />hm... maybe it is starting to make sense. <br />is it something to the effect of "not even there had he fled his troubles"?<br /><br />then glossed to "not even there had he escaped his troubles"<br />and then "not even there was he free from his troubles"<br /><br />??<br /><br />that seems pretty far removed, is it not?<br /><br />and why is [face=SPIonic]aeqlown[/face] genitive?
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re:odyssey 1.18

Postby Paul » Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:17 pm

Hi,<br /><br />I'm at work now, so I don't have any of my books with me. But I would hazard that [face=SPIonic]a)e/qlwn[/face] is a type of ablatival genitive denoting the point of departure against the verb [face=SPIonic]feu/gw[/face].<br /><br />So, as you say, something like: "Not even there was he removed from troubles".<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul
Last edited by Paul on Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby klewlis » Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:33 pm

ok... that is helpful, thanks :)<br /><br />I checked out what Smyth had to say on ablatival genitives (new term for me!) and it's slightly clearer than mud. But at least I have an idea now ;)
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Emma_85 » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:25 am

When I translate that passage I'll tell you how I did it, but I'm not quite as far as you yet :)
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Homeric Greek and Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners