prosecho cum acc. +inf.

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

prosecho cum acc. +inf.

Post by vir litterarum »

I was reading in Matthew chapter 6:1 and saw that Jesus uses an accusative + infinitive in an indirect command after prosecho. I could not find this construction after this verb in Liddell and Scott and was wondering whether anyone had seen it before?

Talmid
Textkit Member

Post by Talmid »

Vir -

I'm away from my library right now, so I can't look up any information in my resources to help. Hopefully later I'll check BDAG to give an answer.

Just curious though, why are you wondering about this matter?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Talmid wrote:Just curious though, why are you wondering about this matter?
Surely someone possessing a blog with the word "philology" in the title can understand the philological urge to catalog all corners of Greek syntax for oneself.

:)
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Talmid
Textkit Member

Post by Talmid »

Surely someone possessing a blog with the word "philology" in the title can understand the philological urge to catalog all corners of Greek syntax for oneself.
Annis -

Perhaps we should give an official name to this syndrome. May I propose "Philologist's Curiosity Syndrome" or "PCS" for short?

Thanks for the reminder!

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

Albeit I endeavor to understand every construction when reading Ancient Greek, I am particularly weary of misinterpretation when reading the New Testament, so I just wanted to verify I was translating the verb correctly