Textkit Logo

prosecho cum acc. +inf.

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

prosecho cum acc. +inf.

Postby vir litterarum » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:41 pm

I was reading in Matthew chapter 6:1 and saw that Jesus uses an accusative + infinitive in an indirect command after prosecho. I could not find this construction after this verb in Liddell and Scott and was wondering whether anyone had seen it before?
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Postby Talmid » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:43 am

Vir -

I'm away from my library right now, so I can't look up any information in my resources to help. Hopefully later I'll check BDAG to give an answer.

Just curious though, why are you wondering about this matter?
Talmid
Textkit Member

Postby annis » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:57 pm

Talmid wrote:Just curious though, why are you wondering about this matter?

Surely someone possessing a blog with the word "philology" in the title can understand the philological urge to catalog all corners of Greek syntax for oneself.

:)
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby Talmid » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:46 pm

Surely someone possessing a blog with the word "philology" in the title can understand the philological urge to catalog all corners of Greek syntax for oneself.

Annis -

Perhaps we should give an official name to this syndrome. May I propose "Philologist's Curiosity Syndrome" or "PCS" for short?

Thanks for the reminder!
Talmid
Textkit Member

Postby vir litterarum » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:26 pm

Albeit I endeavor to understand every construction when reading Ancient Greek, I am particularly weary of misinterpretation when reading the New Testament, so I just wanted to verify I was translating the verb correctly
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek