Help! lol

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Ricardus
Textkit Neophyte

Help! lol

Post by Ricardus »

1.Monent me si erro.<br />1. They warn\advise me if I err.<br /><br />monent = they warn\ advise verb, 2nd conj., 3rd person, plural, Indic., Act.<br />me = me<br />si = if <br />erro = I err verb 1st conj. 1st person singular Indic. Act.<br /><br />Obviously si = if \ & me = me \ but why ? what's the grammar behind the sense of it??? <br />I'm going back to the begining and starting my questions as I encountered them, from the begining. I left what I didn't understand blank, hoping to find help one day. any help?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:Help! lol

Post by klewlis »

I'm not sure I understand your question.<br /><br />si always means "if"<br /><br />me is the accusative of the personal pronoun ego (check out chapter 11 for the full declension).<br /><br />so "me" is the direct object of the verb monent, which is why it is accusative. <br /><br />:)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It simply means "They warn me if I err" or whatever words you choose to translate those as.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Ricardus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ricardus »

Salve<br />I was unsure of it being acc. not being at chapter 11 yet explains why. I'll check Chapter 11 Thanks!<br /><br />Vale<br /> Richardus<br /><br />Ps. It would seem my common sense that told me it was "me" I just wasn't sure why grammaticlly.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

If you check your vocabulary entry for "me", I think you will find that it says "Accusative". I am unsure, since you are using the 5th Edition and I used the 6th, but they should be relatively the same.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae