Pronunciation question

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
doridea
Textkit Neophyte

Pronunciation question

Post by doridea »

:?: Quick question on pronunciation. In the word nauta it is listed as saying the au as "ow",as in, cow. Now a days we use the sound "aw"; which would be more accurate, or would it be something in between, like a softer "aw"?
Wuscfrea

Kyneto Valesio
Textkit Fan

Post by Kyneto Valesio »

HIIIIIIIiiiiii !\

It is like flat A run together with a long O as in the Bow of a ship or if some stepped on ;your toe and you said OW!

Others will disagree but I don't think too much attention should be spent on the subtleties of vowels.

K

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

Put ah and ooh together and say it quickly. "ahooh", or as you had it the first time, "ow".

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Post by rustymason »

I like the "ow" better. Maybe it's because of my fondness for cows, I don't know. :-)

As to the important of pronunciation (in case anyone asks me), I would recommend trying to get as close to the book pronunciation as you can. Don't worry if you are exactly "correct" (if there is such a thing) in the beginning, you can change your pronunciation when you move to the advanced Latin stage.

Right now just try to be as close to the book pronunciation as you can, making sure that your vowel sounds are all clearly different from one another. If your vowel sounds are not easily distinguishable you will have trouble with your conjugations. (I have to be especially careful with my e's and i's.)

Stay consistent in all of your pronunciation lest you have difficultly with syllables, accents, memorization, and translation.

Vale!
Rusticus