Textkit Logo

Why does this Perpetual Motion Machine not work??????

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!

Why does this Perpetual Motion Machine not work??????

Postby ThomasGR » Thu May 24, 2007 10:24 am

It's an idea stuck deep in my head. I will never rest in peace.

[url=http://home.hetnet.nl/~albertvd/]Why does this
Perpetual Motion Machine
not work??????[/url]

So please, help me.
ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Bert » Thu May 24, 2007 11:48 pm

If there were no resistance to motion, perpetual motion would work. However; It would still be useless for as soon as you want that motion to work for you, you would be causing resistance and the motion would diminish and stop.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby ThomasGR » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:35 am

I'm planning to build one and examine exactly where this resistance comes from. If that resolved, one may use it to for energy supply. Signs are that it won't work, but it's good to know why not.
ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Bert » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:12 pm

ThomasGR wrote:I'm planning to build one and examine exactly where this resistance comes from.

You can reduce the resistance to motion (friction) but you can't eliminate it.
ThomasGR wrote:
If that resolved, one may use it to for energy supply.

No, if that is resolved your can have perpetual motion but you can't use it for energy. As soon as you would try to "harvest it," you would cause resistance which will cause your machine to slow down and stop.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby ThomasGR » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:27 pm

Well, at this point I'm more intersting to make it spin around the axes and not gain any useful work. Theoretically, it should not run (according to the theory of energy conservation), though (again following other theories) it should be no problem for that. Let's try than and learn from errors :lol:
ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Gonzalo » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:27 pm

In practise, it´s impossible to create a physical system isolated -which is a condition for the construction of perpetual motion machine. For instance, the Universe is a phycal system aislated in first aproximation because it doesn´t change matter/energy towards outside -you can´t create a Universe or anything from the Nothing (if you aren´t God).

I have read the link and I think it´s interesting but you would have to redefine the Foundations of Physics if you were capable to make it. It would be as if I were able to find how to construct a square of the same area that a circle given by means of only a finite number of steps with compass and straightedge: If I reach it, I would need to redefine what is a point and the relationship between it and the other elements of Geometry because of it comprobated imposibility (Lindemann,1882).

Yours.
Verus enim amor semper tempore tristi elucescit magis. (Philipp Melanchthon: Decl. de studiis Linguæ Græcæ)
Quin age, si quid habes (P. Vergilii Maronis Ecloga III:52)
Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby ThomasGR » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:33 pm

Well Gonzalo, I am not expecting that it will work. The point is, why does it not work? There must be a cause more explicit than saying that you cant get energy from nothing. Following some simple force vectors, there must be forces that will keep it running, except if there are other forces which forbid that and escapes our attention or we aren't able to see them.
ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Bert » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:04 pm

Hi Thomas, I failed to see the link in your first post.
Interesting. One thing that may stop the water flowing from the one side to the other is that it is not just a matter of crossing to the other side but it has to be pushed up to the other side.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby IreneY » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:22 pm

This is supposed to contain an answer but I'm not sure I see it. I think it's the picture in the middle but then I almost failed physics, that's how inattentive I was, so don't listen to me :D
IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Return to The Academy