A Greek boy at home by Rouse

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

A Greek boy at home by Rouse

Post by Gonzalo »

Probably you know about that book already but I tell:
I found Rouse´s A Greek boy at home a long time ago in the Net and I thought that it coud be a nice reinforcement to traditional way of Greek study and learning because with this book you are reading a story whose difficulty -vocabulary/grammar- goes up progressively. Additionally, you get a lot of new vocabulary reading it.
Here is the link:
http://www.johnpiazza.net/ancientgreek

Yours
Last edited by Gonzalo on Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aloimonon
Textkit Member

Post by aloimonon »

Nice find Gonzalo!

This can be pleasant diversionary reading indeed. While I prefer a systematic approach based on grammar to *start off* with, reading is of course quite necessary and the more done in the early stages, the better. This should help me. Thanks!
ἀλλ' ἔγωγε ἐξ αὐτῶν τούτων μᾶλλον αὐτὸν τεθαύμακα, ὅτι ἔν τε ἀλλοκότοις καὶ ἐν ἐξαισίοις πράγμασι αὐτός τε διεγένετο καὶ τὴν ἀρχὴν διεσώσατο. Dio LXXII 36.3

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

I think partialy the same. You say that you need a point to start of. Well, that book is accompanied by a course -which I wasn´t able to find-.
By the way, I have been thinking that we could maintain a sort of weekly correspondence in order to practice our composition (at the Composition board, of course). It could be done all Sunday -or Saturday, as you want-. First I would write you, and the next week, you would write me. We have a week to read the message and write peacefully. What do you think?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I have a photo-copy of the book but I do not have the vocabulary section.
I like it that for the most part it uses Greek to describe another Greek word.
Thanks.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

If you want the vocabulary section, I will be so pleased to send it you if you gave me your e-mail -by pm.
Last edited by Gonzalo on Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

wonderful! thanks for posting this.

I have a background in koine and find the jump to classical to be rather tough, so this should help!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

aloimonon
Textkit Member

Post by aloimonon »

Gonzalo wrote:I think partialy the same. You say that you need a point to start of. Well, that book is accompanied by a course -which I wasn´t able to find-.
By the way, I have been thinking that we could maintain a sort of weekly correspondence in order to practice our composition (at the Composition board, of course). It could be done all Sunday -or Saturday, as you want-. First I would write you, and the next week, you would write me. We have a week to read the message and write peacefully. What do you think?
It's a great idea, but first I need to study more and finish Mastronarde before I spread myself too thin and start composition. After all, my main goal is to read prose. But maybe this would work in the future!

BTW, is your avatar a bust of Marcus Aurelius, or Antoninus Pius? Marcus Aurelius is one of my favourite emperors of the Empire, both in its Roman and Byzantine phases.
ἀλλ' ἔγωγε ἐξ αὐτῶν τούτων μᾶλλον αὐτὸν τεθαύμακα, ὅτι ἔν τε ἀλλοκότοις καὶ ἐν ἐξαισίοις πράγμασι αὐτός τε διεγένετο καὶ τὴν ἀρχὴν διεσώσατο. Dio LXXII 36.3

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Yes: My avatar is a bust of Marcus Aurelius.
Last edited by Gonzalo on Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

klewlis wrote:wonderful! thanks for posting this.

I have a background in koine and find the jump to classical to be rather tough, so this should help!
Fantastic. I have the vocabulary. I sent it to Bert. If you wanted it -the definitions are explained in Greek-, please make me known it and after giving me your e-mail address, I will send it to you.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Gonzalo wrote:
klewlis wrote:wonderful! thanks for posting this.

Fantastic. I have the vocabulary. I sent it to Bert. If you wanted it -the definitions are explained in Greek-, please make me known it and after giving me your e-mail address, I will send it to you.
I got it from the same site. :) But thanks for the offer!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Ok, I said it because I wasn´t able to get it from the site and I needed to ask for it.

Come va il tuo italiano?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Gonzalo wrote:Come va il tuo italiano?

lentamente. ;)

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

:wink:

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

I forgot post here the link to Rouse´s Greek Course.
I hope it may be useful. It´s very easy.
http://www.johnpiazza.net/rouse_greek_course

Tertius Robertus
Textkit Fan
Location: 666 Burning Hotties Road, Ol' Dis by Styx, 5th inner circle, Hell.

Post by Tertius Robertus »

does anyone knows of a better copy on the internet? i ask this because this one is lacking in quality for several pages [pdf pages 13, from 17 inclusive to 22 inclusive, 29 33 35 and 36]

cheers!

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

http://jeltzz.com/lingualatinaetgraeca.html
I haven't had enough time to know if this is one another pdf copy or if it is the same. I give you that link because of it provides a lot of resources on Ancient Greek.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

It seems to be the same. I am sorry.

Tertius Robertus
Textkit Fan
Location: 666 Burning Hotties Road, Ol' Dis by Styx, 5th inner circle, Hell.

Post by Tertius Robertus »

thanks, i had come across that too. this and the copy at perseus, but the three are actually the same scan. i also tried gallica, google, and others - without any success.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

For those interested in Greek readers, I have just found a reader which takes part in William Smith's Initia Graeca. It is the second volume:
http://books.google.com/books?id=qIsCAA ... tle:graeca
I had finished the first part of Initia Graeca but I was not able to find the reader. Very useful, I think.

P.S.: I ask the administrators of Textkit if they might add this Second volume to the "Learn Ancient Greek" section, because it is a part of the William White's method (which is offered there).

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Re: A Greek boy at home by Rouse

Post by rustymason »

The reader is now available for Kindle for $7.99, with a promise that the supporting texts are coming soon. Here is the Amazon description:

Publication Date:October 31, 2010
A Greek Boy At Home is an original, graded story written in Greek by W.H.D. Rouse. It was intended as a companion reader to his popular grammar book, A First Greek Course, though is ideal as supplementary reading for any Greek course or as a stand-alone book for intermediate students.

Rouse (1863--1950), former headmaster of the Perse School, Cambridge and one of the founding editors of the Loeb Classical Library, was an advocate of applying the Direct Method of language education to Latin and Greek.

This Kindle Edition was carefully scanned, proofread, and digitized to use the Kindle's support for non-Latin characters (Kindle 2 and newer required). The companion vocabulary addendum is not included. Rather, it will be published soon as a separate download, fully indexed and searchable as a Kindle dictionary.

I can read it on my PC desktop Kindle (v.1.10.5) but not on my Android (v.3.6.0.87; SDK version 2.3.6; API Level 10).

Rusty

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Just a quick hello Rusty,

Jeff
Textkit Founder

Σαυλος
Textkit Fan

Post by Σαυλος »

Anne Mahoney produced a reprint of Greek Boy at Home
http://www.amazon.com/Rouses-Greek-Boy- ... ne+mahoney

This is just the same as the online pdf Rouse version listed in previous threads. But it is nice to read it in clear print.

Anne Mahoney also produced an revised Rouse's "First Greek Course."
This is a revision, not just a reprinting. I haven't made a careful comparison, but certainly the introduction is entirely new, and very interesting.
http://www.amazon.com/First-Greek-Cours ... gy_b_img_y
I will babble until I talk. ετι λαλαγω...