Pharr group... let's join in!

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Aggelos
Textkit Neophyte

Pharr group... let's join in!

Post by Aggelos »

I would like to join this new group. I am a university researcher in the field of biochemistry but I remeber my classical studies with pleasure and can still read ancient greek and translate but I wouls also like to improve and broaden my knowledge.
Thanks for consideration

Aggelos

Alex Green
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alex Green »

I would also like to join to the group for people using Homeric Greek: A Book for Beginners by Clyde Pharr. Now there is no such a group. The last one has been already closed. But if there are a lot of people wishing to joing this group, another one will be organized. So, we need more people. ;-)
Last edited by Alex Green on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Non est ad astra mollis e terris via.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

You can count me as of yours. I am with Pahrr´s Homeric Greek and I consider well such proposition. But, I have a doubt. How would the group work if it were created?
Ι imagine that -like many of yours- we´ll have many problems with our pronunciation.

Χαῖ?ε!

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Gonzalo,

Many at textkit have considerable experience running such groups. You needn't worry about that for now.

What you need to do is:

a. find enough people to participate (there will be attrition)
b. find someone (or two) to serve as guides

We have study group software, etc.

Cordially,

Paul

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Hi, Paul,
I know. I´ll expect for it and I´ll do what is on my hand but I suppose the group will work in English. It´s evident.

By the way, I visited your web: Congratulations.

Alex Green
Textkit Neophyte

Guide need.

Post by Alex Green »

Does anyone know where we can find a guide? Maybe we should put an advertisement? ;-)

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Putting an advertisement isn´t bad idea but the matter leans in where to put it.
Χαἲ?ε!

megas_yiannakis

Post by megas_yiannakis »

ide be willing to join... ive started with pharr already but am up to a chapter were a 'good review' is recomended and i am still abit fuzzy on some consepts so would be very happy to join in :D

-Yiannis

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Great.

Alex Green
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alex Green »

Gonzalo wrote:Putting an advertisement isn´t bad idea but the matter leans in where to put it.
I wonder how the new group appears in the group list on http://www.textkit.com/groups/. Maybe we should put our advertisement there somehow? Besides we are still do not have any guide. :-(

megas_yiannakis wrote:... ive started with pharr already but am up to a chapter were a 'good review' is recomended ...
I am also working with my Pharr book now. I've already got up to lesson XIII but I still have some questions.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

See if you can get 8-10 people for your Pharr group. As I earlier hinted, you'll probably lose half of them.

The guides you seek are typically senior-ish members of textkit. Each and every one of them is aware that your group will need a guide. Each, including me, is probably casting about for reasons why (s)he can't serve as guide right now. But, in the end, some generous soul usually steps up and serves.....

Cordially,

Paul

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

My Pharr-d group has kind of dwindled.. I have - some - room. But only for a limited group, which would be ok with corrections only once a week on Saturdays.

Since I took on a new job recently, I have to limit the number of any new group members to tutor. I say, for me, right now, the limit is 5 members.

Let me know if that is convenient.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

How is the level of your group?

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Pharr's is a course called "Homeric Greek for Beginners". All Pharr groups on this site, I think, are beginners groups.

I would say any new members could not join the Pharr-d group. I would say this would have to be a new group, with someone other than me setting up the schedule.

Alex Green
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alex Green »

Now I am also very busy with my math that is why having corrections once (or twice) per week is rather convenient. But I hope that in summer we will be able to have more lessons.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

perispomenon wrote:My Pharr-d group has kind of dwindled.. I have - some - room. But only for a limited group, which would be ok with corrections only once a week on Saturdays.

Since I took on a new job recently, I have to limit the number of any new group members to tutor. I say, for me, right now, the limit is 5 members.

Let me know if that is convenient.
Generous soul, indeed!

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Paul wrote:Generous soul, indeed!
So easy to be generous if then no-one takes you up on your offer :-) (or were you being cynical? I am not quite sure)

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

perispomenon wrote:
So easy to be generous if then no-one takes you up on your offer :-) (or were you being cynical? I am not quite sure)
I meant quite sincerely that you are a generous soul!

Cordially,

Paul

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

perispomenon wrote:
You couldn't know no one was going to take you up on your offer, the offer shows the generosity. (Unless you offered to appear generous and hoped no one would take you up on it but I refuse to believe that.)

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Bert wrote:You couldn't know no one was going to take you up on your offer
I was hoping to also provoke a reaction from the original requesters. Well, I'll wait and see.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Hello,
But only for a limited group, which would be ok with corrections only once a week on Saturdays.
Is it right now? I am a limited group. :D

Alex Green
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alex Green »

So, we are going to have a group, aren't we?
It is great! :-)

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Alex, maybe it was a painful joke... :cry:

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Gonzalo wrote:Alex, maybe it was a painful joke... :cry:
Well, I am waiting for you to start. Perhaps we could make it simple by letting you join the Phar-d group after all. Then Paul would only have to create an account for you there.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Ok, fantastic but you ought to explain me how to start and where to go to.
Thank you.

Alex Green
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alex Green »

perispomenon wrote:Perhaps we could make it simple by letting you join the Phar-d group after all.
It would be great. :-) But then shall we start learning from the beginning or according with the Pharr-d schedule?

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Alex Green wrote:Shall we start learning from the beginning or according with the Pharr-d schedule?
You would start from the beginning, the Pharr-d schedule is too far ahead for you to be able to catch up, I would think.

I look at lessons posted for Pharr-d every saturday, so I would also pick up the lessons you two would be posting.

I suggest you ask Paul via this thread for an account in the Pharr-d group and that you subscribe to the Pharr-d mailinglist.

Then we can determine a schedule for you.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

perispomenon wrote:
Alex Green wrote:Shall we start learning from the beginning or according with the Pharr-d schedule?
You would start from the beginning, the Pharr-d schedule is too far ahead for you to be able to catch up, I would think.

I look at lessons posted for Pharr-d every saturday, so I would also pick up the lessons you two would be posting.

I suggest you ask Paul via this thread for an account in the Pharr-d group and that you subscribe to the Pharr-d mailinglist.

Then we can determine a schedule for you.
I had suggested a while back to have a "perpetual Pharr Program." People start whenever they like to as long as there are not any more than a pre-determined total. Now we try to get a number of participants before we start a group and then we have 80% or more drop out.
The problem is that we would also have to have (a) perpetual guide(s).
I don't know if the time has come for this or not.

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Bert wrote:I had suggested a while back to have a "perpetual Pharr Program." People start whenever they like to as long as there are not any more than a pre-determined total. Now we try to get a number of participants before we start a group and then we have 80% or more drop out.
The problem is that we would also have to have (a) perpetual guide(s).
I don't know if the time has come for this or not.
I suppose the 'perpetual guide' would be something to work out. But a 'perpetual Pharr program' is not a bad idea. Actually, a very good idea.

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Gonzalo wrote:Is it right now?
Yes, as you wish.

It is up to you. The ball is in your court.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Hi,
Perispomenon, how could I join in the group?... :roll:

Alex Green
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alex Green »

Gonzalo wrote:How could I join in the group?...
I'd also like to know. ;-)
perispomenon wrote:I suggest you ask Paul via this thread for an account in the Pharr-d group and that you subscribe to the Pharr-d mailinglist.
How..? (a silly question)

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

I'd also like to know.
The truth is outside...Mijdrecht
We wait for you, Groet. :o

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Alex Green wrote:How..? (a silly question)
Ask a Pharr-d account via this thread (so, post here and ask for an account) or via a PM (personal message) to Paul.

Alex Green
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alex Green »

Oh... Really. Thanks! It was actually the silliest question in the galaxy. :roll: But still I appreciate Your answer. :-)

So, I'm asking for an account. Please!

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Me too... please.

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Hi Paul,

Could you tell our two joiners whereto they can email their preferred account names for Pharr-d?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

perispomenon wrote:Hi Paul,

Could you tell our two joiners whereto they can email their preferred account names for Pharr-d?
I wonder if time restraints have kept Paul from following Textkit conversations.
This is the address we used before.
arachweb at optonline dot net
Remove the spaces and replace the at with @ and the dot with .
(I don't think he wants the address floating around, available for automatic "harvesting.")

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Bert wrote:
perispomenon wrote:(I don't think he wants the address floating around, available for automatic "harvesting.")
My thought.

Alex and Gonzalo, could you please send an email to the address Bert provided, stating that you would like an account for Pharr-d and the account name you would like to have?

You can then sign up for the mailinglist at http://textkit.com/mailman/listinfo/pharr-d_textkit.com

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Oh, it´s fantastic. I am going to send it now. Thanks.