μὴ θᾶττον συνθλασθείη

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

μὴ θᾶττον συνθλασθείη

Post by modus.irrealis »

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help with the following.

Ἄιδης πῶς ὑποίσει, Σῶτε? πα?ουσίαν τὴν σήν, καὶ μὴ θᾶττον συνθλασθείη σκοτο?μενος, ἀστ?απῆς φωτός σου αἴγλῃ ?κτυφλωθεῖς;

I'm confused by the μὴ θᾶττον συνθλασθείη -- this seems to be an optative, but I'm not entirely sure why it's an optitive or how I'm supposed to understand it. Am I right to translate it as equivalent to a future, so you have

How will Hades endure, Saviour, your presence, and won't it, being dark, be quickly shattered, having been blinded by the brightness of the lightning of your light?

Kyneto Valesio
Textkit Fan

Post by Kyneto Valesio »

Hi modus

I am new at this so I can't offer any help. Maybe later. But golly gee I wonder why is this forum so moribund ? You asked for help and no help was proferred.

If you tell me where the passage came from I will run it through a parsing machine at Zhubert to see if I can render it (I will try not to cheat)?

Best!

Kyneto

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Nice of you to bump up the thread Kyneto Valesio, not so nice to jump into conclusions :)

I personally just missed the thread.

No modus I would say it's a simple optative expressing a wish but I know how this sounds. I mean you'd expect either Indicative or Subjuctive perhaps or at least a conditional optative. I am just thinking out loud here but could it be a conditional optative sans the "an"?

I am not sure about the "being dark"'s tense but I'll have to actually think about it a bit and come back to you. (How does this verb go by the way?)

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

Kyneto Valesio
Textkit Fan

pronounciation of koine my modern greek orthdox christians

Post by Kyneto Valesio »

I was wondering how they pronounce the scritptures in a modern greek orthodox church. Is it the same as what I am learning from dobson and mounce ?

Kyneto

Kyneto Valesio
Textkit Fan

Post by Kyneto Valesio »

sorry .. my last post should have been a new topic .. shessshhh ADD

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Modus

a) I meant "now" not "no" :oops:
b) I know what you mean about the "expressing wish" and its contextual impossibility. I just thought I'd mentioned it though since my automatic syntactical circuits cut in first and then logic cut in with a "whoa there!" :D
c) my question actually was "How is σκοτοῦμαι" declined? I know its meaning, I have no idea about its declination :oops:
d) all in all, since the meaning is clear I think that I'll just pretend the "an" is there and consider it "poetic licence" afterall

Kinetus

I've never read dobson and mounce (and yes you should have created a new thread :D) but they use a sort of byzantine pronounciation which is in between modern and koine and is difficult to tell apart from either really (especially when chanted I should add).

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

IreneY wrote:a) I meant "now" not "no" :oops:
:D -- that's alright -- the "no" was probably right anyway.
c) my question actually was "How is σκοτοῦμαι" declined? I know its meaning, I have no idea about its declination :oops:
It's a σκοτῶ, σκοτοῖς, etc. verb.
d) all in all, since the meaning is clear I think that I'll just pretend the "an" is there and consider it "poetic licence" afterall
Yeah, I'm thinking you're right. Thanks.