Textkit Logo

μὴ θᾶττον συνθλασθείη

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.

μὴ θᾶττον συνθλασθείη

Postby modus.irrealis » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:45 pm

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Postby Kyneto Valesio » Sun May 06, 2007 2:41 am

Hi modus

I am new at this so I can't offer any help. Maybe later. But golly gee I wonder why is this forum so moribund ? You asked for help and no help was proferred.

If you tell me where the passage came from I will run it through a parsing machine at Zhubert to see if I can render it (I will try not to cheat)?

Best!

Kyneto
Kyneto Valesio
Textkit Fan

Postby IreneY » Sun May 06, 2007 3:50 am

Nice of you to bump up the thread Kyneto Valesio, not so nice to jump into conclusions :)

I personally just missed the thread.

No modus I would say it's a simple optative expressing a wish but I know how this sounds. I mean you'd expect either Indicative or Subjuctive perhaps or at least a conditional optative. I am just thinking out loud here but could it be a conditional optative sans the "an"?

I am not sure about the "being dark"'s tense but I'll have to actually think about it a bit and come back to you. (How does this verb go by the way?)
IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Postby modus.irrealis » Sun May 06, 2007 5:53 pm

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

pronounciation of koine my modern greek orthdox christians

Postby Kyneto Valesio » Sun May 06, 2007 8:44 pm

I was wondering how they pronounce the scritptures in a modern greek orthodox church. Is it the same as what I am learning from dobson and mounce ?

Kyneto
Kyneto Valesio
Textkit Fan

Postby Kyneto Valesio » Sun May 06, 2007 8:45 pm

sorry .. my last post should have been a new topic .. shessshhh ADD
Kyneto Valesio
Textkit Fan

Postby IreneY » Mon May 07, 2007 12:38 pm

Modus

a) I meant "now" not "no" :oops:
b) I know what you mean about the "expressing wish" and its contextual impossibility. I just thought I'd mentioned it though since my automatic syntactical circuits cut in first and then logic cut in with a "whoa there!" :D
c) my question actually was "How is σκοτοῦμαι" declined? I know its meaning, I have no idea about its declination :oops:
d) all in all, since the meaning is clear I think that I'll just pretend the "an" is there and consider it "poetic licence" afterall

Kinetus

I've never read dobson and mounce (and yes you should have created a new thread :D) but they use a sort of byzantine pronounciation which is in between modern and koine and is difficult to tell apart from either really (especially when chanted I should add).
IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Postby modus.irrealis » Mon May 07, 2007 11:18 pm

IreneY wrote:a) I meant "now" not "no" :oops:

:D -- that's alright -- the "no" was probably right anyway.
c) my question actually was "How is σκοτοῦμαι" declined? I know its meaning, I have no idea about its declination :oops:

It's a σκοτῶ, σκοτοῖς, etc. verb.
d) all in all, since the meaning is clear I think that I'll just pretend the "an" is there and consider it "poetic licence" afterall

Yeah, I'm thinking you're right. Thanks.
modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Return to Koine and Biblical Greek