pharr... how much should i be picking up?

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
megas_yiannakis

pharr... how much should i be picking up?

Post by megas_yiannakis »

Geia sas!

im 16 yrs old living in Australia, but am of greek ethnicity and speak modern greek... i have a simple question about pharr and any greek text book really...

how much should i be picking up?

im up to chapter 20 (participles) and am really enjoying my work so far on the iliad but i still 'feel' that i dont have a proper 'complete' understanding on topics covered in the past 2 or 3 chapters such as "perfect + pluperfect tenses" and the "infinitive"... whats more i feel my memory isnt comping too well with all the new vocabulary introduced every lesson...

is this normal? is there any extra work available on the internet that could help?

any help would be appreciated :D ...

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: pharr... how much should i be picking up?

Post by Bert »

megas_yiannakis wrote:Geia sas!

im 16 yrs old living in Australia, but am of greek ethnicity and speak modern greek... i have a simple question about pharr and any greek text book really...

how much should i be picking up?

im up to chapter 20 (participles) and am really enjoying my work so far on the iliad but i still 'feel' that i dont have a proper 'complete' understanding on topics covered in the past 2 or 3 chapters such as "perfect + pluperfect tenses" and the "infinitive"... whats more i feel my memory isnt comping too well with all the new vocabulary introduced every lesson...

is this normal? is there any extra work available on the internet that could help?

any help would be appreciated :D ...
I hope it is normal. It has been my experience as well.
I think that the chapters of 'incomplete understanding' will follow you along the way. When you are at chapter 30, chapters 28 and 29 will be a little foggy but the ones that are unclear now will be old hat then.

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Hi megas, I think it would be exceptional if you understood everything really well right away. It would be helpful to review, or even redo, some of the chapters as you go along. And you can keep reading about specific aspects that you find difficult from the grammar at the back, or from another grammar. For vocabulary, I found that making flash cards helped a lot, and then you can keep reusing them. But I think for both grammatical concepts and vocabulary the best thing to do is keep reading, and things will slowly fall into place. Plus, of course, you can ask for clarification here on Textkit. Best of luck, N.

megas_yiannakis

Post by megas_yiannakis »

thanks for your help guys i appreciate it :D ive made some help cards and they seem to be going good for now but i feel i need to be 'reading' more than anything else... for this reason i was thinking about getting 'a reading course in homeric greek' as to assist with pharr... are there any other books with simple readings available just to keep me reading and 'feeling' the language more?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

You are correct in saying that simply reading Greek is what is needed.
The problem is when we are fresh beginners we don't know enough words yet to do a lot of reading. What I would suggest is to review the readings you have done so far. Get so familiar with that part of the Iliad that you can read it without having to translate it in your mind.
There is a discussion here
viewtopic.php?t=6948
It may be of help to you.