Matt. 5:25

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

ἰ?σθι εὐνοω̃ν τω̨̃ ἀντιδίκω̨ σου ταχὺ ἑ?ως ὁ?του εἰ̃ μετ' αὐτου̃ ἐν τη̨̃ ὁδω̨̃ μήποτέ σε πα?αδω̨̃ ὁ ἀντίδικος τω̨̃ κ?ιτη̨̃ καὶ ὁ κ?ιτὴς τω̨̃ ὑπη?έτη̨ καὶ εἰς φυλακὴν βληθήση̨

How is "otou" functioning within this verse? I have looked at several translations, and none of them translate it?

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

I'd say that εως here is being used as a preposition and οτου refers back to some implied noun meaning "time" or something, so literally εως οτου is something like "[in the time] during which" but it's pretty much equivalent as a whole to "while."

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I agree. The word is translated but together with ἕως. Until whichever (time) -> as long as, while.

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

So it would be a genitive of time at which the clause occurs?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

vir litterarum wrote:So it would be a genitive of time at which the clause occurs?
No, it is genitive because here ἕως is a preposition that takes its object in the genitive.

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

Are you sure "ews" can be used as a preposition? I looked my middle LSJ and saw no mention of it.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »