how this passage translates (especially the last sentence)?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
blwpyrtv
Textkit Neophyte

how this passage translates (especially the last sentence)?

Post by blwpyrtv »

Hello,<br /><br />I was wondering if anybody here might be able to render the precise meaning of this:<br /><br />Fortunatus fuisti, O adulescens, quod Homerum laudatorem tuae virtutis invenisti." Et vere! Nam, sine Iliade illa, idem tumulus et corpus eius et nomen obruere potuit.

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Re:how this passage translates (especially the last sentence

Post by vinobrien »

I think this is your homework from Wheelock, Alexander standing before the tomb of Achilles...

blwpyrtv
Textkit Neophyte

Post by blwpyrtv »

I think you're right about it being from Wheelock, but it's actually my brother who is trying to figure it out. He's not in school, just a leisure time language buff who recently got into Latin. He says the dictionary and reference tools he has didn't quite clarify the final sentence, in particular the "obruere protuit" (I thought I should present the whole sentence and the one preceding for a bit of context). He asked me if I had any ideas based on my knowledge of some Romance languages and the one year of Latin I took in high school, but I could really only guess. I recommended he try the Internet, but he didn't get very far with that route--he's not very computer-experienced. So I figured I'd see what I could turn up.<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Fortunatus fuisti, O adulescens, quod Homerum laudatorem tuae virtutis invenisti." Et vere! Nam, sine Iliade illa, idem tumulus et corpus eius et nomen obruere potuit. "<br /><br />"You were fortunate, O youth, because you found Homer, the praiser of your virtue." And truly! For, without the Iliad, the same tomb could bury both his body and name.<br /><br />I believe this is referring to how Homer preserved the deeds of Achilles through literature.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

blwpyrtv
Textkit Neophyte

Post by blwpyrtv »

Thanks a lot, Benissimus. I thought maybe it was some kind of conditional tense.