Reading Course in Homeric Greek - KEY

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Reading Course in Homeric Greek - KEY

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

Received this by email today. I hope it'll be of use to members here and elsewhere.

"You have inquired with Focus Publishing in the past regarding our series, “A Reading Course in Homeric Greek?. We would like to announce to you, as someone who’s showed interest in the past, that we are currently reprinting “A Reading Course in Homeric Greek? Book III – The Teacher’s Manual/Answer Key. We have received permission to go ahead and publish an exact reprint of the original Schoder & Horrigan TM/Key. We anticipate this to be in stock, in 2 weeks. The selling price for this title will be $29.95 (due in large part, to its size).

You may place your order online now for it at www.focusbookstore.com. The easiest way to locate the book is to do a search for the item code, which is: 02457 . All orders will ship as soon as the books become available.

Currently, Leslie Edwards, our author who has revised Book I, is working on her revision for Book II, and then eventually the TM/Key. In the meantime, we’ve had several inquires about the availability of Book III/TM & Answer Key, and due to a demand, have decided to offer the exact reprint of the key.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to email me. We appreciate your patience, and for letting us know that there was a demand for this."

Seán
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

bernardo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bernardo »

Now avaiable in Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Course-Ho ... d%5Fi=home

or search by ISBN

It will be released on April 2nd.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

bernardo wrote:It will be released on April 2nd.
2008 ! (at least that's what it says on Amazon)

Are you guys using this reading course? Is it any good and how does it compare to Pharr?
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

This link to the publisher is advertising the book for sale atm.

http://www.focusbookstore.com./index.as ... ProdID=560

I am not using this course myself until I get my copy of the key. I shall begin then, having been convinced by various threads on this forum of the value of beginning with Homer.

Seán
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

bernardo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bernardo »

I talked to Focus' sales department, and the reprint of the key will be available on April 1st, 2007. The date on Amazon is just a mistake.

For more info, go to the Focus store

http://www.focusbookstore.com./index.as ... ProdID=560

and Amazon is already accepting pre-orders

http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Course-Ho ... d%5Fi=home

I've given my opinion of this book, and Pharr's, on this thread

viewtopic.php?t=6795

and ten lessons later I still feel the same way.

megas_yiannakis

Post by megas_yiannakis »

im thinking about getting this book as a general help in my greek studies... anything that i quiet dont fully understand in pharr i could read about in this one... is that a bad idea?

also i was under the impression there was a 'book 2' aswell... or is it just the one text book and the key (book 3)?...

quendidil
Textkit Member

Post by quendidil »

Will Focus publish Volume 2?
Yes. It is in the works with a tentative publication date of 2008. The second volume is designed to be appropriate for a second year college text in reading Homer for those who have had a first year background in Attic Greek..
I don't think you'll need volume 2 once you complete 1, you should be able to read Homer with the aid of a dictionary or Homeric Vocabularies

bernardo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bernardo »

For some weird reason Amazon took some time to correct the release date to the key, despite e-mails I and the publisher sent them. It's now available.

http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Course-Ho ... 980&sr=1-1
im thinking about getting this book as a general help in my greek studies... anything that i quiet dont fully understand in pharr i could read about in this one... is that a bad idea?
I would do exactly the opposite, use Schoder and consult Pharr.
also i was under the impression there was a 'book 2' aswell... or is it just the one text book and the key (book 3)?...
There's book 2 as well (2nd ed only), besides book 1 and the Teacher's Manual/Key. You'll find it used with some ease. The first book (2nd edition, not 3rd) is hard to find.