Wheelock vs Collins Dictionary

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
phil
Textkit Fan

Wheelock vs Collins Dictionary

Post by phil »

G'day all,<br /><br />I'm learning 3rd declension adjectives in Wheelock, and he gives the following examples of dictionary entries for 3rd declension adjectives of 1, 2 or 3 endings thus:<br /><br />potens, -entis<br />fortis,-e<br />celer,celeris,celere<br /><br />However my dictionary lists them:<br /><br />potens, -entis<br />fortis<br />celer,celeris<br /><br />i.e. with the neuter entry for the 2 or 3 ending words missing.<br /><br />Is it correct to say then that 3rd declension adjectives of 2 or 3 endings will always have an -e ending in the neuter nom sg?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Phil<br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:Wheelock vs Collins Dictionary

Post by benissimus »

It may be that all third declension adjectives ending in "-is" have "-e" in the neuter... I've never really thought about it. I would assume that your dictionary shows all those adjectives thus, and if there are exceptions then it will (hopefully) clearly show. My Cassel's Dictionary does not follow that method, nor does any dictionary I have ever used.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

In the third declension there are three types of adjectives. <br /><br />- Celer, celeris, celere; there are three different endings for m, f, n. Each gender has his own ending. Your dictionnary gives these three endings.<br /><br />- Fortis fortis forte; there are two different endings for m, f and n, cause the endings for m and f are the same. The endings are always is, is, e. Your dictionnary gives only the m, and you can easily figure out the rest.<br /><br />- prudens, prudens, prudens; there is just one ending for the three genders or you can also say that the ending is the same in m, f and n. There is one problem here. You have only the nominative and three times the same. So the dicrionnary gives just one form (the other two nominatives are the same), but he adds also the genetive. If he would't add a genetive, you would't be able to decline the adjective, cause you wouldn't know how to form the accusative, genetive, alblative, ... And therefor your dictionnary gives the nominative m singular, followed by the gen. m. s. in such a case.<br /><br />Greetz, <br />Moerus

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Hi again<br /><br />[quote author=Moerus link=board=3;threadid=615;start=0#5682 date=1063191625]<br />- Celer, celeris, celere; there are three different endings for m, f, n. Each gender has his own ending. Your dictionnary gives these three endings.<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />No, you see, that's the problem; my dictionary only has celer,celeris (no celere). I checked a few entries, and there are no 3rd decl adjectives with the neuter form listed. Should I (a) assume that the neuter form always ends in -e, or (b) buy a new dictiionary? :-)<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phil

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I think if it doesn't specify then it's safe to assume the -e...<br /><br />I have the oxford mini-dictionary and it lists all three genders for celer<br /><br />
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

Hi again<br /><br /><br />Quote from: Moerus on Today at 07:00:25am <br />- Celer, celeris, celere; there are three different endings for m, f, n. Each gender has his own ending. Your dictionnary gives these three endings.<br /><br /> <br /><br /><br />No, you see, that's the problem; my dictionary only has celer,celeris (no celere). I checked a few entries, and there are no 3rd decl adjectives with the neuter form listed. Should I (a) assume that the neuter form always ends in -e, or (b) buy a new dictiionary? :-)<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phil
<br /><br />Your dictionnary wants that you assume that it's -e in such case. But Such dictionnaries are evil. The only thing to do is burn it or you can also barbecue it!<br />No, seriously, you can assume it's -e in such cases.

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

OK, I'll assume that 3rd decl adj neuters end in -e unless otherwise noted. Anyway all this talk of celery is making me crave a salad.<br />Cheers<br />Phil<br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Will you be eating it with celerity?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae