Declining ordinals

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
phil
Textkit Fan

Declining ordinals

Post by phil »

G'day all,<br />I'm up to caput quindecim in Wheelock, and have a question regarding declining ordinal numbers. With the numbers of two words such as 'tertius decimus' and 'vicesimus primus', do both words get declined? e.g. viri tertii decimi -of the 13th man? and hasta vicesima prima - the 21st spear?<br /><br />My guess is that they do, but it isn't specifically mentioned anywhere I can find.<br /><br />Your help will, as always, be appreciated.<br /><br />Cheers,<br />Phil<br />

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Re:Declining ordinals

Post by Moerus »

Yes they both get declined! <br />Your exemples are correct.<br /><br />But in Latin they would usually say caput 'tertium decimum, the 13th chapter' in a sentence like yours.<br /><br />
My guess is that they do, but it isn't specifically mentioned anywhere I can find.
<br /><br />Yes, now it's mentioned here! And you can also find that in a normal good Latin grammar.<br /><br />Greetz, <br />Moerus.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Well, you have to love that old Wheelock. His book is textbook that tries to be part grammar book, and ends up just raising more questions. You pretty much have to get a grammar book (or just use Textkit ;)) if you want to use that book, or just about any book for that matter.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

hey i just finished that chapter too! <br /><br />how often are you getting through each chapter? maybe we could follow along at the same pace....
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Hiya Klewlis,<br /><br />Yeah, I saw your post on counting, but by the time I did, many others had posted their replies, so I didn't bother with my 2 cents' worth.<br /><br />I do about one chapter per week - sometimes two if I'm lucky. I find learning the vocab takes the longest. I use flash cards, and I wrote a wee program to test myself, but it still seems to take ages to get the words into my thick skull.<br /><br />Are you using Grote's notes? I started reading them while I was waiting for my Wheelock, so I was able to breeze through the first five or six chapters. Slowed down now though!<br /><br />I've got some sentences from the last few chapters I'm not sure about - do you mind if I cheat and look at your answers?<br /><br />Cheers,<br />Phil

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I've never heard of Grote's notes... what are they?<br /><br />I think I can do a chapter a week although I am moving very soon and so my life is up in the air for a little while. But it'd be fun to have someone in the same place as me.<br /><br />Which questions? I don't necessarily do every single question for every chapter... often I'll do every other one or the first half or whatever... but give me the specific numbers and I will take a look... if they are ones I didn't do, I can do them now. ;)<br /><br />As for vocab, I tend to focus a bit less on wheelock's vocab (though I do try to learn it) and focus more on working through my big box of vocab cards... there is a lot of overlap though so it works.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Dale Grote wrote some notes to help students who were doing Wheelock. The notes are quite old now (they refer to the quartus edition). You can find them here:<br /><br />http://www.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Wheelock-Latin/<br /><br />They expand on what Wheelock scripsit. They're very useful if, like me, Wheelock plus a parvus dictionary is all you've got.<br /><br />I'll have to bring in my workbook from home for the sentences I'm having trouble with (I'm at work at the moment) so look out for a new post tomorrow some time!<br /><br />Vale Klewlis<br /><br />Phil<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I still have all of my old Wheelock assignments in a folder, but by now it would be easier for me to just see the words and sight-translate (site-translate?). Why on earth do you have questions that are troubling you when you have textkit people right here? >:( :D
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae