Textkit Logo

i come from china

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!

i come from china

Postby solon_zhx » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:26 am

icome from china, i studied ancient greek history, did you have article about athenian democracy email to me? now ,i will introduce to my students. athenian democracy was the first democracy of the world.china need democracy ,so we must study ancient and modern democracy of western.
thanks
my email:zhx1973@yahoo.com.cn
solon_zhx
Textkit Neophyte

Postby EgoIoYoEu » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:02 pm

Cool. Hurray for Democracy! You can simply Google it, and a great number of informative sites will appear!

Maybe this helps?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=athenian+democracy
phpbb
EgoIoYoEu
Textkit Neophyte

Postby solon_zhx » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:53 am

thanks
solon_zhx
Textkit Neophyte

Postby solon_zhx » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:08 am

how to comprehend The Trittyes in Cleisthenes' Reforms?
solon_zhx
Textkit Neophyte

Postby IreneY » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:07 am

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

thanks

Postby solon_zhx » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:02 am

tomorrow was the new year festival of china .
wellcome to china.
solon_zhx
Textkit Neophyte

may i ask a question?

Postby solon_zhx » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:32 am

The Babylonians and Assyrians planted gardens in cities, palace courtyards, and temples, in which trees with fragrance and edible fruits were prominent for re-creating their concept of Paradise. The famous Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the Seven Wonders of late antiquity, have finally been identified as the palace garden of the Assyrian king Sennacherib, constructed not at Babylon but at Nineveh, which was also known as 'old Babylon', around 700 B.C. Sennacherib invented the Archimedean screw, using cast copper or bronze, for watering the gardens. A sculpture now in the British Museum shows a part of the gardens in the reign of Sennacherib's grandson, when the trees had matured.(Ancient Mesopotamian Gardens and the Identification of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon Resolved
Stephanie Dalley Garden History, Vol. 21, No. 1 (Summer, 1993), pp. 1-13 doi:10.2307/1587050)

where the hanging gardens ? babylon or assur?
solon_zhx
Textkit Neophyte

Postby quendidil » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:09 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but is wikipedia still banned in China? http://en.wikipedia.org
Try to access this site, there is a wealth of information there, some articles are badly written, but for the most part, the articles regarding history, science, languages and cultures are fairly well written.

But anyway, Assyria refers to the northern half of Mesopotamia, while Babylonia refers to the southern part, of which Babylon was the capital, located about 80km south of Baghdad. Nineveh was located in what is now Mosul, Iraq. From what I gather, there never were real "Hanging Gardens of Babylon", but just a mixup caused by Greek historians, the gardens were actually found in Nineveh.
quendidil
Textkit Member

Return to The Academy