Textkit Logo

Orpheus cult

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Orpheus cult

Postby mingshey » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:29 am

A couple of days ago, I've finished Plato's republic(translated version, of course, my greek is not that good. :-\) and to my surprise there was somewhat detailed description of the afterworld. <br />It is not a big deal that I was a little disappointed that Plato relies on the judgement after death for the argument why justice is good after the long discussion that sounded as if he was to prove the goodness of justice by the virtue of itself.<br />What interested me was the spurious footprints of the Orpheus cult and the Pithagorean cult scattered along his work. This gives strong indication that unless I learn more about the seldom-known cults I would not fully understand the philosophy of the ancient sages. The rigor of Euclid in his work, too, might be motivated by his religious basis.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Re:Orpheus cult

Postby Paul » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:12 am

Hey mingshey,<br /><br />You might want to read W.K.C. Guthrie's "Orpheus and Greek Religion".<br /><br />It might be just what you're looking for.<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Re:Orpheus cult

Postby mingshey » Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:08 pm

[face=SPIonic][size=18=12]Xa/rij, w) Paule/[/face][/size].<br /><br />It seems to be the very book I should get through, though I should look for online materials for the time being. :)
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Return to Open Board