Textkit Logo

Greek Etymology

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

Greek Etymology

Postby joseph47parker » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:46 pm

joseph47parker
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Greek Etymology

Postby Bert » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:13 pm

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby joseph47parker » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:06 pm

Thanks Bert,

Your right. On my Louw and Nida it has.."to experience or feel shame or disgrace because of some particular event or activity - 'to be ashamed of.'
I guess I was just expecting to see something about "disappointed" or the like in the definition. So your Lexicons have this as the full definition?

I really appreciate your reply. I am the ONLY person I know that has ANY desire to learn greek.

If you would be so kind as to answer a few more questions. I know there are several commentaries that refer to the Greek in their writings. Do you have any advice on which ones to purchase? I have just bought Hagner's Commentary on Matthew from the Word Biblical Commentary series. Thoughts?

Also, I really don't like transliterated versions. Is this normal?
and how do you get the greek font to work on this site? I have TekniaGreek font on my CPU?
joseph47parker
Textkit Neophyte

Postby IreneY » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:32 pm

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bert » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:51 pm

joseph47parker wrote:Thanks Bert,

Your right. On my Louw and Nida it has.."to experience or feel shame or disgrace because of some particular event or activity - 'to be ashamed of.'
I guess I was just expecting to see something about "disappointed" or the like in the definition. So your Lexicons have this as the full definition?
Yes. It then lists a few different uses.
joseph47parker wrote:
I really appreciate your reply. I am the ONLY person I know that has ANY desire to learn greek.
That makes it hard to stick with it. Textkit can fill this gap quite nicelyv
joseph47parker wrote:
If you would be so kind as to answer a few more questions. I know there are several commentaries that refer to the Greek in their writings. Do you have any advice on which ones to purchase? I have just bought Hagner's Commentary on Matthew from the Word Biblical Commentary series. Thoughts?
I like Calvin's commentary but I'm sure there are others as well that make reference to the Greek. I don't know enough about them to make a recomendation. I am a member of a Biblical Greek discussion group. You are more likely to get advise there. You could check their archives as well. You can find information about subscribing etc. here: http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/b-greek

joseph47parker wrote:Also, I really don't like transliterated versions. Is this normal?

It is to accomodate those who don't know any Greek. Once someone knows some Greek the transliterated Greek is harder to read than real Greek.
joseph47parker wrote:and how do you get the greek font to work on this site? I have TekniaGreek font on my CPU?

This site uses unicode. Can you read what I wrote in Greek in my previous post? If so, you have unicode. All you need is a way to write it.
I use a free program from http://www.tavultesoft.com/keyman/ (Only one of them is free.) You can also use this website http://users.ox.ac.uk/~tayl0010/letters ... etpos2.htm
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bert » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:59 pm

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby IreneY » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:11 pm

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bert » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:01 pm

That sounds like a valuable book.
I deny sth out of shame seems to fit the context quite well.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby IreneY » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:28 pm

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bert » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:46 am

Paul just finished saying that he was delayed in coming. He has been scorned because of the gospel many times (see 1Cor 4:13) so it is a distinct possibility that he will face the same treatment from the Roman gentiles as he proclaims the gospel to them. Now he wants to assure the Roman Christians that his delay was not because of shame. At the same time he may be preparing the Roman Christians that this will happen to them as well and encouraging them that they don't have to be ashamed either.
That is my take on it.
Some think that he is just stating the obvious. "I'm not ashamed, I'm preaching it."
I don't think that is likely. To my shame, I've been ashamed of the gospel before even though I have confidence in its truth.
I hope I made sense.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby IreneY » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:26 pm

Ah! Yes, that does make sense! I guess I needed to know more of the overall context. Thanks Bert :)
IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek