Athenaze - Book II

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Athenaze - Book II

Post by Lucus Eques »

Χαί?ετε!

I am eager to buy the second volume for Athenaze, but I had a few quæstions for those that know the text. The first book I have is the Italian version, so perhaps there are grave differences in the format. In looking at the Amazon displays of the second book, I see no marginal notes or illustrations, and the vocabulary is præsented before the reading. In my book I, the vocabulary follows the reading, and there are numerous marginal notes and illustrations. Is the second book just this different?
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Hu

Post by Hu »

Is the second book just this different?
No, both English volumes are like that. I don't know why the Italian one would be different.

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Hu wrote:I don't know why the Italian one would be different.
The italian version tries to imitate Lingua Latina in that it includes drawings and notes in the margins. To me, there's not much difference, because it still falls short of being 100% contextual.
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

You mean the original doesn't have marginal notes or illiustrations?? That's the whole point! I'm shocked.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Lucus Eques wrote:You mean the original doesn't have marginal notes or illiustrations?? That's the whole point! I'm shocked.
Well, at least Book I doesn't have them.
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

tico
Textkit Member

Post by tico »

Athenaze book II doesn't have marginal notes or illustrations. It's like book I.

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 »

I can confirm that both volumes I and volume II have the exact same format, with no marginal notes, etc in the English version.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Wow! That means I have to find the Italian version again — I can assure you the illustrations and marginal notes make the book superior, almost as good as Lingua Latina. I'll have to get the Italian version of book II then. Does anyone know the Italian æquivalent of Amazon?

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Lucus Eques wrote:Does anyone know the Italian æquivalent of Amazon?
www.bol.it springs to mind. Or www.unilibro.it .

wongallo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by wongallo »

Luke, quick question. Do you think the Italian version of Athenaze, could be used effectively by a non-Italian speaker?
I've seen excerpts of the Italian version, and it looks promising. I have the English version, which is terrible.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Do you know any Italian or Spanish? An Italian to English dictionary would be sufficient for the vocabulary in translation.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

wongallo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by wongallo »

I only know the rudiments of Spanish grammar. However, I am an intermediate student of Latin and French.

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Luke, I'm considering Athenaze in the italian version for book II. If it's as superior as you say it is, then I want to have it (not now, but when I finish what I already have). I found Athenaze in the Vivarium Novum website and in Unilibro: could you please tell us how much time does it take to get to the US? Also, the shipping and handling info would be good.

Thanks. Cura ut valeas, amice!

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Well! I haven't done it yet myself. But I certainly intend to. I saw the Italian version of book II over a year ago in Florence; it looked very good, comparable to LL volume II.

Some Romance knowledge would definitely help, or at least an Italian or even just a Greek dictionary to solve unknowns. It's hard to say.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS