Homeschooling (from Third Declension)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Emma_85
Global Moderator

Re:Homeschooling (from Third Declension)

Post by Emma_85 »

Lol, 'like' and 'cheers' are the two words I say most (though I don't type cheers, as it seems Americans don't use it as I do). Like every second word I say, like, is 'like' :P.<br />Colloquial language is funny sometimes, isn't it?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

'Like' used in that way surpasses the frontier of "Co'lloqui'al" lanaguage into the land of the crazy tongue (that of NUTS).<br /><br />So much time, 6 hours per day. And so little learnt. This is incredible. <br /><br />Most of the teachers either weren't in or sucked today.<br /><br />Abysmal.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I'd be really glad if my teachers didn't turn up! ;)<br />I have between 4 and 11 hours a day (normally 8 or 10 :'().

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=548;start=30#5369 date=1062786050]<br />'Like' used in that way surpasses the frontier of "Co'lloqui'al" lanaguage into the land of the crazy tongue (that of NUTS).<br /><br />So much time, 6 hours per day. And so little learnt. This is incredible. <br /><br />Most of the teachers either weren't in or sucked today.<br /><br />Abysmal. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />And yet there definitely comes a point where you should be learning with or without the teachers. You are responsible for your own education, and if you put the effort in you can make good use of the time spent in school, regardless of how bad you might think the school is or how bad you think the teachers are (and in my experience they aren't nearly as bad as current students consider them to be ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

My teachers are wonderful-one is my mother and one is myself, and I love them both. ;) <br /><br />Keesa

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=548;start=30#5388 date=1062806382]<br /><br />And yet there definitely comes a point where you should be learning with or without the teachers. You are responsible for your own education, and if you put the effort in you can make good use of the time spent in school, regardless of how bad you might think the school is or how bad you think the teachers are (and in my experience they aren't nearly as bad as current students consider them to be ;)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />My mother pays great amounts of taxes. These contribute to the teachers' wages.<br /><br />Now, if a teacher does absolute jack in school then people become angry.<br /><br />For example, I am relatively excellent at Science but it is indeed my weakness. I consider myself to be very bad and I know that I don't be a scientist. Perhaps for lack of zeal, that one can not see what happens often (whereas in Latin it's written in front of your face in visible letters!).<br />I would appreciate a good science teacher, to explain what actually DOES BE in certain things - whence crazy equations come and we are merely told "learn it". But at the end of the day, what the truck is it? one asks. Yet we receive nothing but ignorance. <br />In electricity, we accept that we'll never see what an electron is close up and how they move in accordance with more/less voltage etc. but all we want is a comprehensible demonstration to which one can relate. And this is the simplest of physics that one does.<br /><br />And with this almost unbelievably idle physics teacher (who is neither stupid nor old) we have just witnessed the difference in marks between his science and chemistry. (The chemistry teacher is fair - although she loves her nails and discsses make up with the whores at the front too often.)<br /><br />Teachers should be tested like pupils. Believe it or not, but there are in the school HUGE differences between same ability classes with different teachers. Blatant to an insane extent. Once a whole class asked the headteacher to come in and hear the difference between their class and that of us. We are both top set classes however with different teachers.<br />The grades go from A to Unclassified. 3/4 of their class had unclassified marks. Half the remaining pupils had C grades, a quarter D grades and 1 kid 'acheived' a B grade. <br />I was there out of my lesson for I had to see it. The headteacher was told seriously that this other maths teacher was awful and stupid etc. Which he is, believe me.<br /><br />But the bugger just replies jokingly, "Oh, you've all got something against teachers; I know if you had your way they'd all be fired!" Despite all their efforts pupils' grades suck because of their teacher. <br /><br />Next year the grades increase to the A* grade to which 5 people in each class should ascend.<br /><br />Not to be disrespectful klewlis amice, but in this case you are very wrong. Nobody can make use of an hour during which no work is set, one has a supply teacher and one permits no one to talk let alone learn anything. And there can be nothing productive done in watching an ancient cheap Macbeth film because the english teacher is lazy.<br /><br />Too much emphasis is placed on pupils' "REVISION" (aah! no) or "studying". If the teacher had actually educated the children properly then there would be no need. <br /><br />I learn much latin because Dr. Benjamin L. D'Ooge is an awesome teacher. I have no questions when I move through his work for his explanations are concise, and when something foreign appears, it is marked by means of a small index form size number which refers one to the bottom of the page. <br /><br /><br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I do know what you mean, it must be very frustrating. I didn't know the Welsh school system was that bad. <br />Then again, my cousin is a teacher and used to teach in London. The horror stories she can tell. Fellow teachers and the director mobbed her, because she was a good teacher. She did experiments in physics and go out old equipment, which hadn't been used in centuries to do so. <br /><br />BTW, they do test teachers... I know because my cousin actually ended up top teacher in that school, but the director tried everything so that she wouldn't see her results, as he'd been telling her off, for teaching the pupils physics her way (by explaining everything). But luckily the examiners, who went round and sat in the classes and asked for the pupils’ opinions, too, thought she was really good.<br />She couldn't stand teacher there, though, so she moved. The school has now lost their best teacher and are glad she's gone, too. <br />As the headmaster employs the teachers, a school with a really bad head master often has really bad teachers...

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I'm not saying that it is all bad - there are a couple of very good teachers here who teach well. But even these are tied down to a syllabus...<br /><br />(ah...what is that verb..."to die" when Cepheus ties Andromedam ad saxum??) <br /><br />They are too nervous to teach properly, especially in languages as I have discovered on yet more occasions this year. <br /><br />A boy whom I know quite well achieved an A grade in french GCSE. <br />I asked him what "they are" was in french. He said honestly that he had no idea. (Despite the insane lack of grammar in syllabis I am sure that candidates must know at least the present indic. conjugation of être, to be - like in any language!!)<br />Did he know any french, I asked him.<br />No, he had apparently wiped all the french from his mind once he finished the exams! <br />What was the point of studying for two years?<br />To become employed, to impress employers.<br />By claiming yourself to have a skill that you do not have now?<br />said I. <br /><br />It is so bad that it makes me want to yell at the teacher...<br /><br />It's the same in german. How can anybody say anything in german without knowing word order inside out?<br /><br /> :'(<br /><br /><br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

It's the same in german. How can anybody say anything in german without knowing word order inside out?<br /><br />Ich hab' nicht die geringste Ahnung...

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

It's the same in german. How can anybody say anything in german without knowing word order inside out?<br />
<br />Millionen Deutsche scheinen Propleme mit ihrer eigenen Sprache zu haben, die neue Rechtschreibung wurde nicht umsonst eingeführt... ::) ;)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Yeah, 'Die Rechtschreibreform'. The most useless and most expensive thing ever...<br />The Germans revised their spelling, which was a good idea, but they did it all wrong. They made some pretty stupid and useless changes (some words are now spelled with three consonants in them, such as Schifffahrt), but failed to changed the rules to make spelling easier. I still don't know whether to write some words together or apart, or big or little, with double consonants or single. I know my spelling is awful, my German teacher tells me so often enough, but this reform did nothing to change that at all.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Spelling reforms, yeah! They did something similar with Dutch a couple of years ago, and it created a lot of fuss. There was an official word list, that was not always in keeping with the rules in that same list; the major Dutch dictionary (used as a standard in word games on TV) interpreted the rules differently, and the rules are as hard to remember and apply as the old rules. <br />I love that one rule that says that words that are originally compound word, but no longer recognised as such follow a certain rule. Does that mean that etymologists are allowed to write it differently, because they recognise it as a compound :)?<br /><br />Ingrid

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Ach ja<br /><br />Meine Lehrerin hat mir daruber gesprochen...ich fande 'Die Rechtschreibreform' unglaublich, daß man "schifffart" u.s.w jetzt schreiben muß! Ungeachtet der Organizationen die so viel machen, um Deutsch zu helfen, Deutsch ist nur lustiger geworden! Und meistens weiß man nicht, ob fussball oder fußball zu schreiben! <br />wenn ich schreibe es kommt darauf an - manchmal ist es "mußen" oder am vielen Gelegenheiten schreibe ich "mussen"...<br />Ich muß sagen, daß Deutsch mir sehr schwer ist! Die Worte sind so lange :-\<br />

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

Ob man ss oder ß nehmen muss, entscheidet die Länge oder Kürze des vorhergehenden Vokals:<br /><br />müssen, muss, Kuss, hassen...(kurzer Vokal)<br />Fuß, Gruß, Maß...(langer Vokal)<br /><br />Allerdings wird dir das wahrscheinlich nicht viel helfen, weil du ja nicht bei allen Wörtern weißt, ob der Vokal lang oder kurz ist...:)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Lol, one of my problems is whether to spell some words sch or ch. Most people just look at me and say I'm strange, because I can hear the difference in the pronouciation. For example Kirsche/Kirche. Those two words sound exactly the same to me, but everyone else thinks there is a difference... ??? <br />I've lived in Germany for quite a long time, I do think it's strange I can't hear this difference, but for me it's just not there, I've got English ears.

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

Really? :o <br />Actually there is a big difference... ???

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

There certainly isn't a big difference in Rheinland-Pfalz, but in Austria you pronounce some words differently, so maybe that's why. I'm sure I could hear it otherwise...

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

Yeah, that's true...

Ptahhotep
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptahhotep »

I can honestly tell you now (and some might agree with me) that teachers here suck :'(<br /><br />They are always striking, demanding increases from the goverment, and the like. Most public schools are in a state of disrepair because the goverment (and public service workers) are not interested in improving school life. I mean, I can understand that goverment shouldn't have to do everything, pupils should know not to encourage unslightly schools ;). But they don't. they are not interested at all. That is why I do homeschool. A substantial amount of people in South Africa are doing homeschool by correspondence due to lack of school-clensiness, crime (and a lot of it!) and sucky teachers. So I think homeschooling is good if you live in a situation like that, but if you can aford it, and you don't have sucky teachers, stick to normal schooling! well, i guess i'm done with my little rave then :)

Ptahhotep
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptahhotep »

PS. can any of you guys see my pic? it doesn't seem to be working... maybe it's just me?

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

No, I can't see your pic either (told you so in another post in the greek forum, maybe you didn't see it).

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Geocities do not allow outside linking.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

i can host your image if you want

Ptahhotep
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptahhotep »

Hi Emma!<br /><br />Cool, really? how what where? if you like you can PM me :)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I already have... just waiting for your email. Then I'll PM you the address, it will be: http://emma.bailey.bei.t-online.de/yourimage.jpg :)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I see your image now, Ptahhotep! Are you doubly satisfied now? ;)<br /><br />Keesa

Ptahhotep
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptahhotep »

8)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

So, is your icon just a picture, Ptahhotep, or are they heiroglyphics and do they mean something?