answer key for bradly arnold's

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Turendil
Textkit Fan

answer key for bradly arnold's

Post by Turendil »

I just picked up Bradely arnold's Latin Prose composition and I was wondering if there was somewhere I could obtain an answer key?

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

They exist, but are extremely rare finds.

Seán
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Turendil
Textkit Fan

question about your signature

Post by Turendil »

shouldn't it be

Infinitus est numerus stultorum

Don't adjectives of quality usually come after the objects they modify?

Didymus
Textkit Fan

Post by Didymus »

There is a book-length key that (apparently) contains everything, including the prose paragraphs at the end. That is indeed an extremely rare find; I personally have never seen it. I was once very excited when a library tried to inter-library loan it for me -- unfortunately, the loaning library realized that they couldn't find it!

The good news is this: http://www.aliquis.plus.com/BAKey/

Those are images of a key indexed to an older version of the book. There are some changes in the Bradley's Arnold I used (I believe a 1981 reprint of Mountford's 1937 revision), but they are few and far between. You will find the key very serviceable; unfortunately it does not contain the appendix of short prose passages.

I myself have worked all the exercises at the front of the book twice, and some (but by no means all, or even most) of the prose paragraphs at the back. The first go-through was for an independent-study prose comp class in college, the second was to review. I didn't learn of the key until I was going through the second time. I happen to feel that my Latin is sometimes better than the key's; my orthography certainly is. I also marked all my long vowels in order to learn them. Sometime when I feel energetic I may type these answers up and post them online myself, if I thought someone, somewhere might find it useful.

I regard Bradley's Arnold as a work that is nearly divinely inspired. I could sing its praises for days, but I shall spare you.

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Re: answer key for bradly arnold's

Post by fierywrath »

Turendil wrote:I just picked up Bradely arnold's Latin Prose composition and I was wondering if there was somewhere I could obtain an answer key?
is there some reason you felt "Bradely" but not Arnold important enough for an uncial? he might take offence were he present, and shower upon you Latin curses like a broken hydrant displaced by a drunken pederast's black van.
shouldn't it be

Infinitus est numerus stultorum

Don't adjectives of quality usually come after the objects they modify?
ancient texts like the vulgate and aeneid are full of little errors and typos like such. they had no benefit of editors in those days you know.

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

I suggest you take that particular query up with either the sacred author or the Inspirer.

I do hope you find a copy of the key you are looking for, however.

Seán[/quote]
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Patruus »

Turendil wrote:I just picked up Bradely arnold's Latin Prose composition and I was wondering if there was somewhere I could obtain an answer key?
Transcription of Exx. 1-67 of 1940 edition of key:
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dcvskh4m_3dwvn5b

JP

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Didymus wrote:
There is a book-length key that (apparently) contains everything, including the prose paragraphs at the end. That is indeed an extremely rare find; I personally have never seen it. I was once very excited when a library tried to inter-library loan it for me -- unfortunately, the loaning library realized that they couldn't find it!
also:
I regard Bradley's Arnold as a work that is nearly divinely inspired. I could sing its praises for days, but I shall spare you.
Two copies came up for sale last year on eBay. The first at an exorbitant price with many bidders. The second very cheap and with one bidder - me!

Yes, it contains the 'versions of continuous passages' (by 'various authors').

I am moved by your passionate worship of Bradley's Arnold so if you send me your address, I'll post you a copy of the versions.
I happen to feel that my Latin is sometimes better than the key's; my orthography certainly is. I also marked all my long vowels in order to learn them. Sometime when I feel energetic I may type these answers up and post them online myself, if I thought someone, somewhere might find it useful.
If you do get around to 'feeling energetic' one fine day, perhaps you'll post some (improved?) versions of the continuous texts online too ... I'm absolutely sure someone somewhere will find them useful.

Cheers,
Int

Didymus
Textkit Fan

Post by Didymus »

Interaxus wrote: I am moved by your passionate worship of Bradley's Arnold so if you send me your address, I'll post you a copy of the versions.
I am very grateful for your offer, but you needn't go to the trouble. Another kind poster (whom I shall not name in case he wishes to remain anonymous) actually made me the exact same offer, and a photocopy is currently traveling my way. You both have my eternal gratitude -- I've been looking for this key for a couple of years now. It really means a lot to me. Hopefully one day I shall have the opportunity to pass it along to another interested learner.
Interaxus wrote:
Didymus wrote:I happen to feel that my Latin is sometimes better than the key's; my orthography certainly is. I also marked all my long vowels in order to learn them. Sometime when I feel energetic I may type these answers up and post them online myself, if I thought someone, somewhere might find it useful.
If you do get around to 'feeling energetic' one fine day, perhaps you'll post some (improved?) versions of the continuous texts online too ... I'm absolutely sure someone somewhere will find them useful.
I would certainly be interested in doing so. I think it would be wonderful if we could get a small group together to post and critique each others' versions -- I think that would be a great learning experience for everyone. We could maybe do a passage a week (I'd be up for doing as many as ... say ... 5 a week, but most people don't share my passion quite to that degree). I'd be more than happy to post the original English for people to work from, as well as to type up the key's version in addition to my own.

I wonder if anyone would be interested in this?

leisulin
Textkit Member

Post by leisulin »

Regarding the answer key to Bradley's Arnold Latin Prose Composition, in particular the answers to the long prose passages for translation at the end whose answers, sadly, are NOT included in key reproduced in 2010 by Cambridge University Press, I am studying on my own, and would GREATLY APPRECIATE answers for those many long passages to compare with my efforts. It's been many years now since the last responses were posted to this thread, but I certainly hope someone who has access to those answers will kindly respond to me and supply me with them, if it's still possible! Thank you!

tzznandrew
Textkit Neophyte

Post by tzznandrew »

Hi all,

I'd start a new thread, but given this was bumped two years ago, I figured I'd post here. I'm hoping to work my way through most of BA this summer, and Patruus' wonderful Google Doc will probably take me through the summer and a little beyond. But those wonderful and troublesome continuous prose passages loom, and it would be great to have an answer key for them.

If anyone knows where to find one at a reasonable price, I would be eternally thankful.

Thanks,
-Andrew