Greek = tonal language?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Ptahhotep
Textkit Neophyte

Greek = tonal language?

Post by Ptahhotep »

[size=150]γεíα σου<br />I'd like to know if the accents (grave, acute, and circumflex) were pronounced as in Mandarin Chinese (high-falling, low-rising, and high-falling suddenly to low-rising again). They exist in Spanish and Latin (except the circumflex) but are not tonilised. [size=150]ευχασιστω’ για το βοη’θημα σας

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Re:Greek = tonal language?

Post by mingshey »

Until recently I thought it was so, and in some manner it seems quite so. But in definition it's rather "high" pitch, "a little high" pitch, and their combination, respectively. See Smyth 150 and try here.<br /><br />I recollect there was recently a posting about the tones of poetic greek study, but I cannot locate it.<br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I couldn't find the post either, though I'm sure there was one.<br /><br />BTW, I can't see your avatas (both your's and mingshey's)

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I found it. see bingley's topic [size=150]τό βιβλίον ἀφῖκται .<br />And look for chad's post there. There's a link about the pitch.<br />