Intro

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
BillD
Textkit Neophyte

Intro

Post by BillD »

Hello everyone! I have been lurking here for quite a long time and I thought it was time to introduce myself. I am a relative latecomer to the classics. I am in my mid-40s and I am currently working my way through D'Ooge and enjoying it a great deal. I have started a couple of times in the past but various distractions have pulled me away from it. I seem to be making better headway this time. I have assembled a modest collection of old Latin (and a few Greek) textbooks and grammars. When I've gotten through D'Ooge I want to start on Greek (while continuing my Latin studies, of course), though I haven't decided whether to go with White or Pharr. I'm inclined toward White as my interests lean more to Aristotle than Homer.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

Greetings!

May thy studies prosper!

Voxforascausa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Voxforascausa »

Ego acceptus tu! I hope you enjoy your stay here. Welcome to the forums.

tjnor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by tjnor »

Hi Bill,

Welcome.

Say, how far are you in the D'Ooge book? We have a D'Ooge group that against all odds is still persevering. We are at lessson xxxiv. If you feel like it you might wish to join. The lessons are posted via Paul's excellent GTTS web site.

Tim

BillD
Textkit Neophyte

Post by BillD »

Tim,

How fast are you moving? I am currently starting Lesson XXVII, so I'm not too far behind. What's the web address?

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

BillD wrote:I am currently starting Lesson XXVII, so I'm not too far behind. What's the web address?
See http://www.greekgeek.org/groups/login.htm

You can login to the D'Ooge group with userid 'guest' (sic) and poke around. Once there, try this:

a. left click on the 'Files' tab
b. right click on the 'Files' tab
c. click on the menu entry 'discover by author'
d. tab pane will be populated with list of known lessons. You can click on a lessonID number to cause it to be opened in left pane.

See also http://www.greekgeek.org/gtss.pdf and
http://www.greekgeek.org/gtssIntro.pdf

Cordially,

Paul

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Welcome Bill!

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

Welcome Bill...my own interest in Latin didn't rekindle until I was stuck in an accounting course in my 30s. Sat in the back and read D'Ooge instead of paying attention to the instructor. :wink: Got a D in accounting but was far from sorry.

All the best,
Chris
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

tjnor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by tjnor »

Bill,

Andre, Paul, and William have all nodded their collective brow(s). If you wish to join our current D'Ooge group just say OK in a reply to this post and then I will send you the requisite info via email (although some of that has already been posted here).

Tim

BillD
Textkit Neophyte

Post by BillD »

Tim,

I'm willing to give it a try, though I'll have to do a bit of catching up. I tried to access the web address posted above by Paul with no luck.

Bill

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

BillD wrote:I tried to access the web address posted above by Paul with no luck.Bill
My ISP is, for the most part, reliable. Every now and then there's a glitch.

Try it again. It's working now.

-pb

BillD
Textkit Neophyte

Post by BillD »

I've made it to XXXII so I'm getting there. I'm sure you are moving ahead as well, but I hope to be caught up within a week or so. I work very long days, so most of my study is confined to the weekends. On the other hand, I have Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays off, so I can get more done on the weekends. It all evens out. I've been struggling a bit but most of my answers have been correct when I check them against the key. The deeper I get into the book, the more I enjoy it.