Textkit Logo

Hi

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Hi

Postby Clemens » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:38 pm

Hi everyone,<br /><br />my name is Clemens and I'm from Austria (that's the reason for my (sometimes at least) terrible English, feel free to correct my mistakes if necessary... ;))<br /><br />I'm trying to learn Classical Greek because it's a fascinating language.
Clemens
Textkit Member

Re:Hi

Postby Keesa » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:46 pm

Welcome, Clemens! I hope you enjoy your stay at Textkit. <br /><br />I've never actually been to Austria, but I've read about it-it sounds like a beautiful country. I hope to visit it someday! <br /><br />Again, welcome. <br /><br />Keesa
phpbb
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Postby Emma_85 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:53 pm

I've only ever been to Austria once on a school skiing trip. If you need any help with translating... I speak German :)
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Clemens » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:58 pm

Thanks, where have you been? :)
Clemens
Textkit Member

Postby Emma_85 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:13 pm

We went skiing in Ramsau am Dachstein. The school always goes there. It was fun, though I didn't go skiing on the glacier, the sight of all the mountains made me feel sick.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Clemens » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:19 pm

...the sight of all the mountains made me feel sick
<br />Really sick? I live in an area with lots of mountains and ski resorts...so I wondered if you've been here... ;)
Clemens
Textkit Member

Postby Emma_85 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:30 pm

Yes, I was feeling very sick. I'd never seen so many mountains in my life... not to mention I'm a bit scared of hights. Luckily there was a cafe where I could sit...<br />On the other ski slopes we went to there was always enough cloud around, luckily.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Clemens » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:49 pm

That's a bit hard to understand for me, since I live here... ;D
Clemens
Textkit Member

Postby Keesa » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:55 pm

I imagine it would be! <br /><br />I am afraid of heights, too, but only sometimes; climbing to the top of a tree doesn't bother me, for example, but standing on a roof does; ladders do, but stairs don't; mountain cliffs with trees around don't, but much gentler mountain slopes without trees around do. I think it has something to do with wanting something around to grab hold of if I fall...<br /><br />I've never gone skiing before, which is probably a good thing. I've ridden horses before, though, bareback, where there was nothing to hold on to...I suppose my fear of heights is selective. Either that or it was just that the horse and I were good friends, and I knew he wouldn't let me fall off. :D<br /><br />Keesa
phpbb
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Postby Emma_85 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:05 pm

Same with me...<br />But it's probably also what I'm used to... I don't mind cliffs, my Grandparents live like 100 meters from the beach and there are loads of cliffs in Cornwall, but I'm not scared when walking along them. <br />It was very scary for me though... I remember while I was skiing, once the clowds parted and I could look down and around me... everywhere mountains and it just went down and down and down...<br />I fell over and refused to get up again, until finally a teacher and a friend of mine forced me to get up.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Clemens » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:46 pm

hmm...sounds not good... :o
Clemens
Textkit Member

Postby Emma_85 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:59 pm

Well, in the end I did manage a red slope alright, though nearly all my friends were going down back ones... <br /><br />You must be really good at skiing. When we were there (not in the tourist season, so it was only our group and locals) the slopes were being terrorised by 4 and 5 year olds. I think they learned to ski before they learned to walk!
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Clemens » Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:06 pm

Well, lots of people here learn skiing when they are 3 or 4...
Clemens
Textkit Member

Postby greagach » Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:16 pm

[face=SPIonic] w(j eu) pare/sthj, w)= Klh=menj e)c Au)stri/aj [/face] ! <br /> <br /> Herzlich willkommen beim Textkit-Forum, Clemens!<br /><br /> good luck with your Greek studies, and enjoy it all in beautiful and serene Austrian setting (< jealous >) . I know that Austria, like Germany, has a long and strong tradition in scholars for Greek, so I think you must really mean it, to learn this difficult language. <br /><br />
phpbb
greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Clemens » Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:30 pm

[face=SPIonic]eu)xaristw~ soi[/face] :)
Clemens
Textkit Member

Postby Lumen_et_umbra » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:56 pm

Welcome to Textkit; I hope you have a good time here learning Greek.<br /><br />Also, I have a queston: Where and by what means did you learn to speak English so well? <br /><br />P.S.<br />Everyone here at textkit either speaks German or French; I feel like an utter loser with my inordinately facile, third-world Spanish. ;)
phpbb
Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Postby bingley » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:02 am

Spain is in the third world ??? ?<br /><br />Try Indonesian, now there's a third-world language.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby klewlis » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:16 am

[quote author=Lumen_et_umbra link=board=6;threadid=601;start=15#5447 date=1062892603]<br />Everyone here at textkit either speaks German or French; I feel like an utter loser with my inordinately facile, third-world Spanish. ;)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well I must be the most dismal of all, since I know *only* english, and nothing else... a few words each of french and spanish... but that's it :)
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mariek » Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:02 am

<br />Hi Clemens,<br /><br />Welcome to the Textkit forum. If you haven't already discovered this, there are lots of Greek books available for download on this site. To find them, click on the Learn Ancient Greek link above. I hope you enjoy your stay here.<br /><br />
mariek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mingshey » Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:34 am

Halo, Clemens!<br />Willkommen hier. Ich bin also sehr neu hier. Und meine Deutsche ist kein besser als dein Englisch, wenn nicht schlimmer. Na, sowieso, ich bin sehr angeregt hier im greiechischen Lernung. Viel Spaß hier!<br /><br />
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Clemens » Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:13 am

@Lumen_et_umbra<br /><br />I'm learning English for 9 years now. All kids here start learning it when they are 8 or 9...<br /><br />@Mariek<br /><br />Thanks, I've already seen it, but I think it would be very, very difficult for me using English books for Greek because I'm not too good at both languages...<br /><br />@mingshey<br /><br />
Hallo Clemens!<br />Willkommen hier. Ich bin auch ziemlich neu hier. Und mein Deutsch ist kein bisschen besser als dein Englisch, wenn nicht schlechter. Na, trotzdem, ich werde hier sehr ermutigt beim Griechisch lernen. Viel Spaß hier!
<br /><br />Vielen Dank, so schlecht war es gar nicht. :)
Clemens
Textkit Member

Postby Episcopus » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:00 am

in multis provinciis linguam Brittaniae doceri debet - semper hodie toti liberi qui Germani sunt eam doceri debent. <br />cogito germanos liberos bene doceri sed in Galliam sunt nulli liberi qui linguas discere possunt. non scio utrum magistri episcopi an liberi episcopi sunt (si dixit quod volo)<br /><br />Nunc quod dicere latine volo non possum! Quamquam linguam galliae scribo multa verba latine sunt dura ei episcopo (nonne vides?) sed tu multa (complicated ones!!) verba latine dicis. <br /><br />Some day I hope that I will be as good at Latin as you...it makes me sad when I can not say what I want to.<br /><br />Das muß sehr schwer sein, daß du kein Buch auf Deutsch hast, um Griechisch zu lernen...Ich könnte das nicht machen (wenn ich alles auf Deutsch lesen mUsste!)<br />Trotzdem hoffe ich daß du hier viel spaß hast und auch daß du viel lernen wirst ;) <br /><br />von dem Bischof<br /><br /><br />
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Clemens » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:14 am

Of course I have German books for Greek. Did my reply let you think I had only English ones? (Mariek hat mich auf die e-books aufmerksam gemacht, die man hier downloaden kann, nur kann ich damit nicht sonderlich viel anfangen, weil sie eben alle auf Englisch sind.)<br /><br />
Some day I hope that I will be as good at Latin as you...it makes me sad when I can not say what I want to
<br /> :o Do you talk with me? I don't speak Latin...<br /><br />Anaway, thanks :)
Clemens
Textkit Member

Postby Emma_85 » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:59 pm

Und welche griechisch Bücher hast du? Ich lerne Griechisch in der Schule, wir habe die Ars Greaca benutzt, jetzt benutze ich aber nur eine Wortkunde und eine kleine Grammatik.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Clemens » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:17 pm

Lehrbuch: Kantharos (zusätzlich verwende ich auch noch diesen online-Kurs.<br /><br />Grammatiken: Bornemann/Risch, Ars Graeca<br /><br />Wörterbücher: Gemoll, Menge-Güthling<br /><br /><br />Das sind so die Wichtigsten, die ich habe. Ich hätte auch gerne Griechisch in der Schule, aber das geht hier leider nicht... :(
Clemens
Textkit Member

Postby Emma_85 » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:23 pm

Ja, ich benutze auch den Gemoll und die Grammatik der Ars Graeca habe ich auch, finde sie aber z.T. verwirrend oder unvollständig. Von dem Lehrbuch, was du benutzt hab' ich noch nie gehört. Ist es so ein bring-dir-selbt-Griechisch-bei Buch?
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Clemens » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:34 pm

Nein, es ist ein Schulbuch (du kannst ja einmal bei amazon schauen, wenn es dich interessiert), deshalb brauche ich auch noch den Kurs zu dem der obige Link führt... :)
Clemens
Textkit Member

Postby Keesa » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:54 pm

You are making it very difficult for me to keep my resolve and not learn Greek until I become quite fluent in at least one of the other languages I'm studying... :( ;)<br /><br />Keesa
phpbb
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Postby Episcopus » Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:00 pm

Ich hätte wissen sollen, daß es viele griechisch bucher auf Deutsch gab. Deutsche Leute haben so viel geschreiben! <br /><br /> :-\Der Bischof ist doof
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Emma_85 » Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:12 pm

Welcher? Der von Speyer? Da kann ich dir nur zustimmen...
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Open Board