Pharr Group?

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Socrates the Cyborg
Textkit Neophyte

Pharr Group?

Post by Socrates the Cyborg »

I am starting with Pharr. I would like to do it with a group. Right now I am going at my own pace which is to proceed slowly in fits and starts. Anyone interested?

Hektor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hektor »

I'm interested. How many people would we need?

Hektor

Socrates the Cyborg
Textkit Neophyte

I don't know. I think part of it depends on whether we can get some experienced person to lead us. That might take more people. In that case we may just have to wait around till enough people are interested.

MichaelFournier
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MichaelFournier »

A friend and I are also interested in beginning Pharr. That makes four.

Michael

dmlscholar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by dmlscholar »

I might be interested. Post some more information when you can. How long will it take to complete the book?

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

I just bought a copy of Pharr and I'd like to join the group.

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

I finished a Pharr group as a participant. I could offer some level (not the highest) of support.

Socrates the Cyborg
Textkit Neophyte

I don't really know, I think it all depends on a variety of things because this stuff is pretty informal here. I think we need someone to volunteer to lead us. Not much we can do about that until it happens. I also think the pace is negotiable but the feeling I get is about a lesson a week so nothing super rigourous. I think the more people who post here the more likely it is we will get someone to lead us. So I think partly we need to just keep checking in about it. I know there are answers to the exercises posted at http://greekgeek.org/ so I have just been moving forward on my own. I finished lesson 5 last night. So possibly we could just work together as a group. I will probably continue working my way forward but I will also continue to check in here about a group. I posted a question about some declensions from lesson 3 the other night and got very prompt replies as is usual around here, so another as I mentioned above, another possibility is that we can try to just form a group and work forward discussing as we go with the forums if we get stuck. If we do it that way we might be more likely to keep at until something more formal could be arranged and would probably look like a more attractive group for someone to take on, but that's just a suggestion. I will make my email visible on my profile if anyone is interested in working together that way, though replying here is probably good to show others we are still interested.

easternugget
Textkit Neophyte

Post by easternugget »

I would be interested in participating, especially since it seems I can never get anything done unless I have accountability.

Socrates the Cyborg
Textkit Neophyte

Just as I was writing that others posted. perispomenon do you have any suggestions about how we should proceed?

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Even if you can't find someone to correct and comment on your answers to each lesson, I think it would be helpful for you to work together on a schedule as a group. Between the answers on Paul's site, and group conversation, you would be able to make great progress, I'm sure. And when you really get stuck, you can ask here on the forum, and that way the more experienced people can take turns helping without making a regular commitment.

I am still amazed with the generosity of those who led the previous Pharr groups. It must have been a lot of work.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

perispomenon wrote:I finished a Pharr group as a participant. I could offer some level (not the highest) of support.
I think you would make a valuable guide.

Hektor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hektor »

I wonder how many people we should "wait" for? Is there a recommended number? Natural attrition tends to diminish numbers, but I think people who have done this before would have a better sense of the normal attrition level.

Also, does anyone know how I can get a copy of the 16 MB (?) Pharr text -- the one with better print quality?

Hektor

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

An inventory as to how many people are interested would be in order. Then we would have to determine how to conduct this group. We had an internet tool up to now, but it may not be available right now.

I have no experience with email groups, but it might be the way to go right now. How about requesting an email list/group and ask for people to enlist?

Then, after, say, a week, we would know how many people would want to attend and we could set up a schedule and come to an agreement as to how to turn in exercises and how correction could take place.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi All,

The "internet tool" that Adelheid refers to is still available. GTSS is far preferable to e-mail.

Cordially,

Paul

Socrates the Cyborg
Textkit Neophyte

I filled out the contact form at Greekgeek.org requesting that a new group be formed since Persipomenon seemed to think that would be good if it was available and then paul indicated it was. Should others who are interested just go there and request to be included? That would seem to take care of the inventory process. To get there go to the greekgeek site, click on the 'study groups' item in the left sidebar, and then at the bottom of the page that comes up, click on contact me. Thanks to both of you for your help.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi All,

I need to know:

a. who is in the group (e-mail @ and if they so desire, a userid)
b. if the group will have "guides" - folks responsible for grading and commenting the work of others, then I need to know who the guides are.
c. when you intend to start

Perhaps the group organizers could coordinate with potential members to send these data to me by e-mail. Construct my e-mail address with the userid "greekgeek" and the domain name "optonline.net".

Setting up the infrastructure (updating some files, creating some directories) is pretty easy.

We'll call the group "pharr-d."

Cordially,

Paul

squinz
Textkit Neophyte

Here I am

Post by squinz »

I had studied ancient greek for 5 yrs before enetring university (medicine, sigh!!!). I can read and translate greek texts. I dont know if that makes me the experienced one you're looking for. I had started reading Pharr in summer and I found it wonderful. May I join you? I would start again if its necessary. My email is squinzanetto@libero.it
Bye
Marius

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Paul wrote:Perhaps the group organizers could coordinate with potential members to send these data to me by e-mail. Construct my e-mail address with the userid "greekgeek" and the domain name "optonline.net".
Socrates, do you, as initiator of this new group, take the lead in this?

lancejones
Textkit Neophyte

Pharr group

Post by lancejones »

I am interested. Are y'all thinking of starting around the first of next year?

awm
Textkit Neophyte

Pharr group

Post by awm »

I'm interested too. Count me in.

squinz
Textkit Neophyte

Marius again

Post by squinz »

Please, if you are ready to start, do not forget me!!!
Marius

MichaelFournier
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MichaelFournier »

Pharr Session A extended from 2/9/04 to 6/6/05. We might adhere to a modified version of that schedule: http://www.textkit.com/groups/pharr/session-a.php

A benefit of starting in February might be that the distraction of New Year resolutions too breezily undertaken will have by then passed. That said, I wouldn't mind beginning in January.

Socrates the Cyborg
Textkit Neophyte

perispomenon wrote:Socrates, do you, as initiator of this new group, take the lead in this?
Yes, I would be happy to take care of these organizational issues. I take it you are definitely willing to be the guide for the group perispomenon?

Everyone should look at the message from Paul and email me the appropriate information. My email is the same as my user id here, written all as one word without capitalization, spaces, or underscores at yahoo dot com.

My idea is to start the group the first week of January. That is, to have the first lesson done by January 7th. The schedule posted for Pharr A looks good to me. Please let me know in your email if these won't work for you.

I'm very happy about the amount of response there has been! Everybody email me!

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Socrates the Cyborg wrote:I take it you are definitely willing to be the guide for the group perispomenon?
Yes, I would be glad to do that.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

If someone can keep me apprised of the schedule I can keep a group web page up with that. Simply following pharr-a might be a bit too inflexible.

For non-GTSS communication (announcements, longer discussion not about a particular exercise), a mailing list is helpful. pharr-d, then?
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Socrates the Cyborg wrote:Everyone should look at the message from Paul and email me the appropriate information.
I second that emotion. I've yet to receive anything.

In the meantime, which is the dreamtime, I will set up infrastrux for pharr-d.

-pb

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

For future members of pharr-d: please see

http://www.greekgeek.org/gtss.pdf
http://www.greekgeek.org/gtssIntro.pdf

As the group gets going, please e-mail me if you have any questions about using GTSS.

Cordially,

Paul

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

However, because of bugs in the Mozilla browsers,
GTSS will not run under Mozilla 1.7.7 and Firefox 1.0.3.
Is this still an issue? I've got Firefox 1.0.8 on one computer and 2.0 on another. On the 1.0.8 I logged in as guest, played around, and didn't encounter any obvious problem.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

As far as I know the problem was confined to the aforementioned releases, both of which are relatively old.

-pb

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi All,

Merely FYI: so far I have received exactly one request to be enrolled in GTSS for pharr-d.

Cordially,

Paul

Socrates the Cyborg
Textkit Neophyte

Paul,

You asked that someone coordinate this stuff so I assumed you wanted something other than a stream of occaisonal requests. I have had about 8 people reply to my email. I was waiting to coordinate the information and send it to you as one bundle. I have also been in finals week here at school so my priorities were focused on some other matters. Sorry, if this wasn't what you were asking for. I will send the information to you ASAP.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi,

Sorry for the chaos.

I got your e-mail, thanks. Looks like a good group is shaping up.

Cordially,

Paul

Hektor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hektor »

I would suggest starting in mid-January rather than the first week, as many people have other new things starting that week. However, I am willing to start New Year's Day if that is what other people would prefer (I'm on break, anyway).

Hektor

Socrates the Cyborg
Textkit Neophyte

Hektor,

I just got your email. I myself would prefer to start at the beginning of January. There are currently 10 members of the group in terms of people who have emailed me, including myself and Adheleid the group leader. Of these, 7 have either said they were fine with starting the first week or expressed no preference. 2 voted for later in January (including yourself), and 1 voted for February. Of those who voted to start later, all three of them expressed that starting earlier was fine.

The first few lessons don't even have exercises to do with them. It's just reading the material and familiarizing oneself with the alphabet etc. I think people could easily handle that in a pretty small amount of time, and if they couldn't, they could easily catch up. Basically I'm just excited to start! :D If people really want to push it back though let the majority rule!
Nathan

tjnor
Textkit Neophyte

Pharr Group?

Post by tjnor »

Socrates/Paul,

Please count me in as well. I am comfortable starting on Jan. 1.

Tim

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

I guess I was the only one who voted for February, but I'm ready to go any time, now.

Incidentally, I was just looking through a signed copy of Pharr's book. I was so disappointed that he didn't write his inscription in Greek.
The lists:

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

There's no mailgroup to subscribe to yet?

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Do we have a tentative schedule yet? I'm wondering about the pace. Pharr-a looks like it began at lesson 3 and moved at two lessons a week for the first several months. The schedules for B and C stop around lesson 20. I'm wondering if they switched to one per week, too.
The lists:

Pip
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pip »

Hello,

I want to start learning Greek and i though I should best start with a group. My reading intentions for Greek would be a wide range of Greek literature so I was wondering if this is the right Greek dialect to study.
If so I would like to sign up for this group.
Thanks

-Pip-