Textkit Logo

Anabasis II.v.10

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Anabasis II.v.10

Postby Dean » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:05 am

Could someone explain the grammer to me here?<br />Thanx!
phpbb
Dean
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Anabasis II.v.10

Postby bingley » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:31 am

Could you be a wee bit more specific? Perhaps if you quoted the sentence that's giving you trouble and a bit of context(you could cut and paste from Perseus), and gave some idea of what the problem was.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Dean » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:29 pm

[face=SPIonic]ei) de\ dh\ kai\ mane/ntej se kataktei/naimen, a)/llo ti a)\n h)\ to\n eu)erge/thn kataktei/nantej pro\j+ basile/a to\n me/giston e)/fedron a)gwnizoi/meqa; o(/swn de\ dh\ kai\ oi(/wn a)\n e)lpi/dwn e)mauto\n sterh/saimi, ei) se/ ti kako\n e)pixeirh/saimi poiei=n, tau=ta le/cw[/face]<br />I know that these are two indirect questions in conditions, but what about the translation? What about de da kai at the beginning?
phpbb
Dean
Textkit Neophyte

Postby bingley » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:25 pm

I had hoped somebody who was a bit more advanced than I am would take up the challenge ;D.<br /><br />I think the [face=SPIonic]dh\ kai\[/face] is there for emphasis. So the first part would be something like, "Well just supposing we did go mad and kill you" <br /><br />We have a conditional with [face=SPIonic]ei)[/face] plus aorist optative and [face=SPIonic]a)\n[/face] plus present optative in the first sentence. I would translate:<br /><br />Well, just supposing we did go mad and kill you, wouldn't we then, having killed a benefactor, have to fight the Great King, who had sat this one out? <br /><br />The conditional in the second sentence is similar but with two aorist optatives. I would translate:<br /><br />How many and of what sort are the hopes I would be depriving myself of if I were to lay hands on you to do something bad, I will tell you.<br /><br />I think in both sentences it's optative to show it's unlikely to happen (at least the speaker wants his interlocutor to think so). [face=SPIonic]le/cw[/face] is future, and doesn't need the change to optative for indirect speech. (I think ;D.) I think [face=SPIonic]tau^ta[/face] sums up everything he's said previously, so the actual words are not the object of [face=SPIonic]le/cw[/face]
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Dean » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:11 am

Thanks for your analysis!<br /><br />I was wondering if I was on the right track. This is a fairly difficult passage and I came to some of the same conclusions you did. I just needed a little reinforcement. I guess I'm not doing so badly after all. I guess if you can tackle an author like Livy or Tacitus I guess you're ready for anything!<br />Thanks again!<br />Dean :)
phpbb
Dean
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek