Matth. 18:18 future perfect

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Matth. 18:18 future perfect

Post by Bert »

ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν, ὅσα ?ὰν δήσητε ?πὶ τῆς γῆς ἕσται δεδεμένα ?ν ο??ανῷ, καὶ ὅσα ?ὰν λύσητε ?πὶ τῆς γῆς ἔσται λελυμένα ?ν ο??ανῷ.
My question is concerning the time relationship between the two subjunctives (δήσητε, λύσητε) and the corresponding future perfects (ἕσται δεδεμένα, ἔσται λελυμένα.)
Do the various tenses say anything about when the binding in heaven occurrs in relation to when the binding took place on earth?
A different way of asking the same thing; When the Church binds something on earth, does Christ promise that this decision will be (future) backed up in heaven, or is he saying that the binding on earth (if it is done biblicaly of course) is in agreement with what God has already decided (perfect.)
I guess the difference can be expressed by translating the future perfect as ...will be bound in heaven... or ...will have already been bound in heaven...
Eagerly looking forward to a reply:

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Matth. 18:18 future perfect

Post by modus.irrealis »

It seems to be that the most neutral reading would be that the perfect participles simply refer to the resulting state at some future time (especially if they're taken simply to be adjectival (?) and not forming a compound tense), although I'd say in the right context you could infer the "already" (although I don't get that sense from this context personally).

I don't like using English to understand Greek but I can think of examples like

Whatever food you order will have been delivered by the time the meeting starts.

where I don't think you must conclude the food will have been delivered before it was ordered.

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Not one of my favourite passages that chapter I must say (but that has nothing to do with the matter really). Seeing it in context (which is always useful in these cases) I'd say that after they bound it it will become bound forever.

In other words it won't have been bound before but it will be from that moment on. That's how I read it at least, especially in conjuction with 18:19

19 Πάλιν ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι ?ὰν δύο ὑμῶν συμφωνήσωσιν ?πὶ τῆς γῆς πε?ὶ παντὸς π?άγματος οὗ ?ὰν αἰτήσωνται, γενήσεται α?τοῖς πα?ὰ τοῦ πατ?ός μου τοῦ ?ν ο??ανοῖς.

joja
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Matth. 18:18 future perfect

Post by joja »

Hello,

Re: the binding and loosing in the Bible,

God who is omniscient and knows all things,
including the future, only gave the "keys" to bind
or loose or retain or remit to those who He knew He
could trust to do His perfect will.

Cancer devils are loosed from bodies, evil spirits
are also "loosed" but remember, gifts of healing
can also be demonstrated by false people,
THERS BEING GIFTS THAT COME WITHOUT REPENTANCE.

But as far as a man remitting sins, that man can only
do so under the inspiration of God, living
a life worthy of the Gospel, in holiness, filled with the
Holy Spirit. Anything else is carnality and deception.