It's Coming!... and now... It's Here!

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

It's Coming!... and now... It's Here!

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Long Promised. Smyth's Greek Grammar will be online by the end of the month.<br /><br />My most productive volunteer - a local high school student - is photocopying it now. <br /><br />At just under 800 pages, this file will be huge. :'( We'll most likely make it available for download both whole and as separate parts.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:It's Coming!

Post by klewlis »

aw man, and I *just* bought it! :)<br /><br />actually I enjoy having the bound book form anyway... <br /><br />that will definitely be one huge file!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I like bound books too ;D<br /><br />The photocopying is complete, I'm looking at one thick stack of papers that need to be scanned. :P
Textkit Founder

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Smyth's Grammar? w00t!!! ;D<br /><br />(I'd purchased the Oxford one, just to have my tutor tell me it's "not comprehensive enough" and recommend Smyth's. I'll be glad to get it free! :D)

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I'm glad to provide it. It'll be a great resource for Greek learners. <br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I can't wait!

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Smyth also has a beginners grammar which I'm trying to locate. It's called "Beginners Greek Book" by Benner and Smyth.<br /><br />Does anyone have comments about this book?<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Hi!<br />I'm another beginner.<br /><br />*Edit*<br /><br />I got both the chase&phillips(harvard) and smyth's. Chase&phillips is terse and compact, so relatively easy to sweep--and glance over--the greek grammar, but smyth really is good for self tutoring.<br /><br />Free smyth is good,--especially if you want to continue your course on subways or on a bus, or while waiting for your friend. But you'll eventually want to have a real one than a stack of print papers. ;)<br /><br />P.S.<br />A question:<br />The editor of smyth mentions that smyth is quite an old book and there are many new discoveries about greek grammar that couldn't be included in the revisions due to lack of fund and time.<br />How can I access the "recent discoveries", i.e. papers, articles, etc.?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

[quote author=mingshey link=board=2;threadid=454;start=0#4401 date=1061275865]<br /><br />The editor of smyth mentions that smyth is quite an old book and there are many new discoveries about greek grammar that couldn't be included in the revisions due to lack of fund and time.<br />How can I access the "recent discoveries", i.e. papers, articles, etc.?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />That's going to be a lot of work. The recent discoveries are going to be spread out over commentaries, journal articles, festschrifts, etc. Basically you'll have to go to a good library and take a look over all the classics journals (in several languages) for articles about matters of grammar, recently discovered texts, etc.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Thanks!<br />I'd better try to cover the published grammar, for now. ;D

waraysa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by waraysa »

Sorry I did not see this thread before i posted a new topic 'Smyths Grammar' to advise that I have found a version of Smyths already available in scanned format (not just searchable as in Perseus).. see www.ccel.org and type in Smyth in 'search'.<br /><br />I am not sure how this compares with what you are doing, in terms of completeness, quality???<br /><br />Wayne

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

yes, I have seen of that version - i don't think it is downloadable like ours will be. It has some search features though.<br /><br />thanks,<br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

CCEL...That would be the Christian Classics Ethereal Library? I read Pensees and The Confessions of St. Patrick there, but I didn't know they also had grammars. Is this on a different webpage, or did I just overlook it? <br /><br />Keesa

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

It's Here!<br /><br />We'll make the offical announcement Sept. 2.<br /><br />Please find Herbert Weir Smyth's classic "Greek Grammar for Colleges" This is not the first time this essential grammar has been available online, but I do believe that this is the first free fully printable and downloadable version.<br /><br />This is the LAST 800 page book I think we'll be doing for awhile. It really created some memory challenges during digital cleaning.<br /><br />enjoy!<br /><br />Jeff<br />
Textkit Founder

Raya
Textkit Fan

Re:It's Coming!... and now... It's Here!

Post by Raya »

YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!<br /><br />what more need I say? ;D

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

What about, "Hooray!"? Or, "Super!" Or, if you want to get creative, "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!" Hehe. I always did like Mary Poppins. <br /><br />That's wonderful, Jeff! Congratulations for getting it finished! <br /><br />Keesa

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

'ta bom! <br />I was just about to bookmark the Perseus version. :P<br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

The Perseus version is still pretty incredible and worth getting to know. <br /><br />Jeff
Textkit Founder

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

yeahhh! :D i'll download it next month (i'm already over my file transfer limit for this month i think... i'll have to check...). :D

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

you have a file transfer limit?<br /><br />excited to see smyth up there, although I imagine I will use my hardcopy instead... I'm sure lots of people will get lots of use out of it!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

They don't have flat rates anymore here in Germany (or if they have then only for DSL and the monthly cost is ridiculous). Because too many people have been leaving their computers online all the time and downloading music and films illegally from kazaa. So now they only offer deals such as, 100 hours or 8 GB (maybe file transfer limit is not quite the right word....). If I download more than 8 GB I have to start paying by the KB. It’s most annoying, especially as it's not me who downloaded more than 8 GB last month and doubled the Internet bill! >:( Anyway... I’d better check how much I’ve downloaded this month to see if it's 'safe' to download it now...

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

The 800 pages smyth is only 40MB! My conversion to pdf of 1034 pages woodhouse is hundreds of MBs. :o I used a image to pdf conversion program. the original acrobat must be far better in its trade.<br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Acrobat only adds a minor amount of file size on top of the scanned tif images.<br /><br />I scan at 300 dpi, bitonal color and export at tif type compression 4. To preserve printing quality I don't compress the images at all.<br /><br />
Textkit Founder

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Yay, thanks!<br />Now it's only 34MB.<br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

oh, only 40? then i'll download it now :-)<br />i would have thought it would be much more, so i didn't even check the size of the download! stupid me!

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

Smyth is already online!<br /><br />Cf. http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... =toc&loc=1

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

[quote author=Moerus link=board=2;threadid=454;start=15#5214 date=1062536174]<br />Smyth is already online!<br /><br />Cf. http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... =toc&loc=1<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yes, but you can't print it out without downloading a lot of pages. In fact, the perseus system is partially designed to thwart printing, to make copyright holders more willing to allow use of their texts. (Or so it seems to me).
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

the thing is that most publishers in germany only have the text on the internet, you can't buy a bound copy of the odyssey for example, which is most annoying.