counting

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
klewlis
Global Moderator

counting

Post by klewlis »

Well Wheelock chapter 15 wants me to be able to count in Latin... kinda fun. But I have a question:<br /><br />In the appendix where it lists the numbers, it goes up to 20 and then starts jumping by tens. So I'm *assuming* that the rules up to 20 still apply further on, so for example, where I have:<br />septendecim<br />duodeviginti<br />undeviginti<br />viginti<br /><br />do i also have:<br />septenviginti<br />duodetriginta<br />undetriginta<br />triginta<br /><br />etc?<br /><br />I wish they'd have listed up to thirty since the teens are a little odd...<br /><br />and while I'm at it, why do they do the last *two* before the next ten, instead of the last *one*, as we're used to in roman numerals? I'd expect the two systems to match more closely...<br /><br />
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:counting

Post by klewlis »

I did notice the viginti unus after I posted this... still curious about the second question...
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

No, no, no, no, noooooooooo!!!<br /><br />You have; <br /><br />20 viginti<br />21 unus et viginti / viginti unus<br />...<br />27 viginti septem / septem et viginti<br />28 duodetriginta <br />29 undetriginta <br />30 triginta<br /><br />...

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

hm, it's frustrating that they don't clarify that in the book... <br /><br />but thanks :)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

sorry to dredge this up from the past, but I'm working on it again...<br /><br />how does one say 98 or 99?<br /><br />surely not duodecentum and undecentum?

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Yep, duodecentem, undecentum is correct. check out:<br /><br />http://www.24hourlatin.com/language/numbers.htm<br /><br />Some things I can do! ;)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

thanks so much! <br /><br />I find that when I am killing time on the treadmill (it gets really boring after awhile...) I can fill some minutes by practicing my counting in my head... Now I can count to 100 and back down again... although some of those bigger numbers are sure a mouthful!<br /><br />

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=3;threadid=574;start=0#5143 date=1062382687]<br /><br /><br />and while I'm at it, why do they do the last *two* before the next ten, instead of the last *one*, as we're used to in roman numerals? I'd expect the two systems to match more closely...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />In Romans inscriptions, you can find XIIX for eighteen (Roman cadastre of Orange, I am an eye-witness), and CCLXIIX "268" (CIL I, 2, 617),<br />but also p. CXLVIIIS "148 feet 1/2" (CIL I, 2, 1471). Real usage was not so strict.