adjectives

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

adjectives

Post by Bert »

Sometimes I don't know if an adjective belongs to one noun or to more of them. Here are some examples:<br />Section 143 line 4 of Pharr; [size=150]ἑκηβόλος ἐποιχεται πρῶτον οὐρῆας καὶ κύνας ἀργους <br /> Does [size=150]ἀργούς belong to both [size=150]οὐρῆας and [size=150]κύνας or only to [size=150]κύνας<br />Line 5 is similar; [size=150]ὀλέκονται οὐρῆες και κύνες αρψοί<br />I assume it only belongs to dogs because swift is not generaly considered a apt description for mules.<br />But how about line 1 of section 128;<br />[size=150])απόλλων ἄναξ ἀμφιβέβηκε χρύσην κίλλαν τε ζαθέην. Are both Cilla and Chrysa holy or only Cilla.<br />Thank you.<br />Bert.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:adjectives

Post by klewlis »

I never know whether I can transfer my koine practice to here, but hopefully:<br /><br />without any other indicators such as articles and forced positioning, I think the only things we have to go on are context and immediate positioning... in the first case I would say that both context and position place the adjective with the second noun. in the second example I'm inclined to say that they are both holy... but I don't really have a reason to give for that except instinct :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus