top downloads of the week

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

top downloads of the week

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I wrote a new page that (hopefully) will provide a nice report on the top downloads over the past 7 days.<br /><br />As Textkit's online contentgrows, it becomes harder and harder for visitors to find out what's currently 'hot' by looking at the homepage all time top downloads reports because the files on that report have a time advantage. <br /><br />This page should help:<br /><br />http://www.textkit.com/top-downloads.php<br /><br />Test it out.. I don't know if it'll work on the end of the last day of the month, so consider it a demo. (the database query took me a bit longer to develop)<br /><br />And Episcopus.. breath slowly, your Education Idol is at the top of the list!<br /><br />It will be fun to see how after Sept. 2nd Smyth, Conybear and Strong spike to the top. For me, logging is fun! :-)<br /><br />jeff<br /><br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Re:top downloads of the week

Post by mariek »

<br />Wow, 3341 downloads in the last 7 days. That's about 477 downloads per day! WOW! <br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

it's pretty neat. Especially since way back when having just 3000 downloads seemed pretty cool.<br /><br />keep in mind however that the definition of a download is somewhat vague. All it technically means is that a visitor opened the PDF file. It does not mean that the visitor downloaded the file fully and our bandwidth consumption suggests that most downloads are partial becasue visitors naturally like to check them out and also use them as online reference.<br /><br />
Textkit Founder

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

And sometimes I read the books online, since Mamma is very worried about the memory on her computer. I haven't recently, though...I did download D'Ooge, Collar and Daniell, and John W. White, so they've kept me pretty busy. <br /><br />Keesa

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I'm downloading everything twice. In my office, for reading and printing, and home for preserving. I'm going to save them all in a CD later.

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

This is a very good idea Jeff!<br />So far in both the all-time downloads and the top downloads of the week out of 10 books, 6 are Greek and 4 Latin. Interesting to see if that will change in the upcoming weeks with Smyth, Conybear and Strong added! Personally I've downloaded everything on here...(D'oge 5 times, 5 different computers) ;D<br />

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

I think that it's a very good idea too and useful. :)

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=567;start=0#5092 date=1062174693]<br />it's pretty neat. Especially since way back when having just 3000 downloads seemed pretty cool.<br /><br />keep in mind however that the definition of a download is somewhat vague. All it technically means is that a visitor opened the PDF file. It does not mean that the visitor downloaded the file fully and our bandwidth consumption suggests that most downloads are partial becasue visitors naturally like to check them out and also use them as online reference.<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br />Also people using download managers such as Getright will do several partial file downloads rather than one whole file download.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=567;start=0#5092 date=1062174693]<br />keep in mind however that the definition of a download is somewhat vague. All it technically means is that a visitor opened the PDF file. [/quote]<br /><br />Then the numbers are a bit "inflated". I guess there is no way to distinguish between opening a PDF file and downloading it? I was never fond of opening PDF files online, preferring to download them onto my hard drive so I can access anytime. But I understand that hard drive space might be a limiting factor for some people. <br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

'Twas never a competition really ;) Thanks jeff

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=567;start=0#5318 date=1062700356]<br /><br />Then the numbers are a bit "inflated". I guess there is no way to distinguish between opening a PDF file and downloading it? <br />[/quote]<br /><br />This can be done, if Jeff is so inclined. You would simply have two separate buttons--one to view the pdf, and one to download without opening. The view one would just open normally in the browser as they do now, and the download one could run through a download script instead of opening in the browser. Then he could count/track just the ones that go through the download script...<br /><br />might be kind of a pain to implement, though, depending on how it is currently set up. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I have seriously thought about creating two buttons - but not really for counting downloads but to save bandwidth. I think many users open the file in their browser and then are not sure how to download it using the Acrobat Reader plugin, all the while the file is loading.<br /><br />I don't think it's that inflated, just fuzzy. ALSO we get tons of traffic directly to the files and none of this is counted, so that balances it out I think.<br /><br />The whole download thing for me is really just a measure of activity and a way to provide some feedback to visitors about what books are popular and worth looking at.
Textkit Founder