Textkit Logo

Hebdomekonta

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Hebdomekonta

Postby mingshey » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:16 am

Wow, interesting is the story of LXX. It's more detailed than that in the preface of my copy of LXX.<br />(P.S. Uh, well this is about the newly added "selections from Septuagint,..." on the home page)<br /><br />I saw the first example of imperative of third person in genesis 1:3 [face=SPIonic]geneqh/tw fw=j[/face] .<br /><br />Now, as for the imperative, a question arises:<br />What of the imperative of the first person? How could I translate this verse? :<br />"Let me sail, let me sail, at the Orinocco flow"<br />
Last edited by mingshey on Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Re:Hebdomekonta

Postby annis » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:01 am

Optative of wish, I would think is the best bet for the "let me" idea.<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]ple/oimi, ple/oimi[/face]. (This verb is a freaky sometimes yes, somtimes no contract verb; Smyth 397.).<br /><br />In the plural, "let's go now" use the subjunctive [face=SPIonic]nu=n i)/wmen[/face].<br /><br />For both of these, the present implies on-going action, the aorist a single event.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Re:Hebdomekonta

Postby mingshey » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:07 pm

Wow, thank you.<br />I'm developing mentally the relations of various moods and voices while, at the same time, learning the paradigms. And I hope this is to learn how the greek mentalities worked. It's like rewiring my brain circuitry.<br /> :D
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek