For new members

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Elucubrator
Global Moderator

For new members

Post by Elucubrator »

The rest of us would really like to get to know you, don't just lurk back in the shadows. Tell everyone else your names; where you're from; whether you are learning Greek, Latin, or both. Any interesting hobbies? Do you speak any other languages? (Whatever you want to tell the rest of us, so that we can start getting to know one another and become friends. :)<br />And remember to vote on all those polls in all the different rooms. ;D<br /><br />Hope to hear from you,<br />soon,<br /><br />Seba

reva
Textkit Neophyte

Re:For new members

Post by reva »

Hi, <br /><br />My name is Reva and I am a non-traditional full time undergrad studying Classics at Syracuse. I've just completed my first year of Ancient Greek and will be studying Latin independently this summer. <br /><br />This is a really great website and I am looking forward to the exchange of ideas with forum members. <br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Reva

wissen
Textkit Neophyte

Post by wissen »

<br />Hi,<br /><br />I am a PhD student from Department of Electronic Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, P R of China. I've been interested in languages since many years ago. I have studied Russian, English and German. Now I'm joining an Ancient Greek lecture in Peking University. Our professor is a nice man coming from Greece. However, the course was interrupted by SARS disaster. :'( Then I'm studying by self-teaching now, meanwhile when I do my research for my PhD thesis about Internet architecture, my major.<br /><br />What a pity that I can't write chinese character here to show my real name. Friends call me "Ah Lang". "Io" and "wissen" are my most frequently used nicknames over the network (aber ich weiss Deutsch nicht mehr. ::) ). <br /><br />Nice to meet you here. I'll post more when I get deeper in studying Ancient Greek and Latin. <br /><br />BTW, the picture of my profile was 'stolen' from a talented friend :P. A traditional chinese painting. <br />

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Hello Ah Lang

Post by Elucubrator »

Hi Ah-Lang, <br /><br />I am in Toronto, Canada, the 2nd SARS Capital of the world. It's too bad your classes got cancelled. So, you're studying internet architecture, but I see that you are not in a design/art/architecture department but in "Electronic Engineering" and since I don't know anything about it I am curious about what it means.<br /><br />I love the word "Architecture" and I am always looking for the architecture or structure of a poem or of a book. Internet Architecture is interesting because it's the architecture or the design of something we can't see.<br /><br />Where is the "internet" and how is it "designed"? Is there really a blueprint available of its structure, with different websites in exact positions and distances to one another, and is there a need for internet architects on the web just like there is for Civil Engineers in our cities to make sure that things are built efficiently, so that our bridges do not collapse, and our roads are wide enough to accomodate the population, and so that buildings have an entrance at ground level rather than elsewhere? It is interesting to think that there is this invisible world that exists all around me, where I can communicate with you in one house, the Textkit house, while outside of this room there is an entire world of activity, yet driven by people striking the keys of their computers.<br /><br />Perhaps it is too much of a fantasy for me, and for those of you who know about programming and how computers, and the internet, and everything else of that sort works it is pretty straightforward and nothing magical.<br /><br />So what is internet architecture? Do you design buildings that are then constructed somewhere on the web? and what are these buildings to me?<br />are the web sites the buildings? And is Code the building material? Or does internet architecture have to do with designing computers and real tangible things like chips and wires and cables and the other things that whirr inside my computer?<br /><br />Whichever way it is I think the analogy is a beautiful one. And I believe that were Italo Calvino alive today, he would have included an electronic web-city in his famous and beautiful book Invisible Cities. Have you read it?<br /><br />Why don't you scan your name the way it is written in Chinese and send it to us? Did your friend paint the picture that you put up on your profile. I really like it.<br /><br />Are there many people in China who study ancient Greek and Latin? I'm glad that you found the group. <br /><br />talk to you again soon,<br /><br />Sebastian

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

In a spirit of common disclosure: I'm Vincent. I have a Master's from Oxford in English Language and Literature and have, over the years, had to work in (deep breath) French, Spanish, Italian, German, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Catalan and Portuguese. <br /><br />As well as the Anglo-Saxon I stumbled through 'twixt dreaming spires, I have also had Biblical Hebrew lessons from the local rabbi (I can now order beer in Jerusalem and discuss kings and prophets going up and down hills) and reached a curiously creditable standard in both Greek and Latin. I am hoping to remedy both of the latter this year with the University College London Summer School in Latin and the Open University second year course in Greek. <br /><br />I work as a Planning Director for an advertising agency in London and live in the hinterland of South East England with wife, children and cats. I also paint, play drums and cook to a very fattening level.<br /><br />Vincent<br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

In explanation.... My name really is Kilmeny, the idea of my parents being that anyone with the last name of "Jones" needs an interesting first name.<br /><br />I am a Canadian Forces member, originally from British Columbia (in the interior, in the mountains, about 400 miles from the coast), but currently in Winnipeg, Manitoba. In the 19 years I've spent in uniform, I have been to Gander Newfoundland, Kingston Ontario, Ottawa Ontario and Alert now in Nunavut, on the northern tip of Ellsmere Island. I studied Computer Science at the University of Victoria, and in the process, discovered Anglo-Saxon, which I thoroughly enjoyed. This got me into University of Waterloo's correspondence program, which led to the Classics program, which is being tremendously interesting.<br /><br />I am moderatly successful in communicating in French, am trying to get around to learning to read German, and think that the world would be a much better place if everyone spoke Latin...... (That may be stretching things a mite....)<br /><br />I am owned by a Burmese Demon Cat, and do Astronomy, sea-kayaking (Manitoba has some BIG lakes) and needlework on the side.<br /><br />Kilmeny

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Post by Elucubrator »

Astronomy and Sea Kayaking! WOW!<br />That's really cool, Indy!<br /><br />-S.

Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Erica »

Hello <br />I am actually returning after a bit away from the site, and it is great to see all the "new" postings and members! javascript:cheesy()<br /><br />I studied Latin in junior and senior highschool, and went on to earn a B. Music (flute performance) and BA Philosophy degrees and took time off from Classics (except of course Ancient Philosophy - which I loved but did in transation during undergrad) and explored modern languages....Now I am doing Post - Baccalaureate work to prepare myself to go on to study Classics on the graduate level. I just couldn't stay away!<br /><br />So I'm playing catch-up and struggling a bit to refresh past knowledge and attempt to make new discoveries and attain a serious level of proficiency with Greek/Latin. I look forward to taking advantage of the texts on this site, but also would appreciate any additional suggestions.<br /><br />While my primary current focus is to hammer out language issues, I have a strong interest in history/mythology/literature, and can't wait to feel a sense of progress and results in those areas as well.<br /><br />I look forward to messages from all, and hope you are patient with my questions which what are sure to contain some element of the ridiculous about them.<br /><br />Erica<br />

wissen
Textkit Neophyte

Post by wissen »

<br />Elucubrator, <br /><br />take care on these SARS days. <br />Wishes to all...<br /><br />Io.<br /><br /><br />--<br />BTW, I open another topic on "architecture". :P

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

[quote author=Erica link=board=6;threadid=89;start=0#437 date=1052522199]<br />I look forward to messages from all, and hope you are patient with my questions which what are sure to contain some element of the ridiculous about them.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Ridiculous? I just spent a week signing off my posts in grossly incorrect Greek. And I'm the guy moderating the Greek forum! We're all here to get better.<br /><br />[size=150]εὐτύχει
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Erica »

Thanks! You folks are great for putting this forum together, and it really is amazing that people all over can take advantage of the resources. I'm appreciative! <br />Erica

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Elucubrator link=board=6;threadid=89;start=0#436 date=1052520786]<br />Astronomy and Sea Kayaking! WOW!<br />That's really cool, Indy!<br /><br />-S.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />[size=18=9]ωηεν ι λεαρν γρεεκ, ι ωαντ το ρεαδ αρατυς ανδ αριστοτλε.... ωηιξη ξοvερς τηε αστρονομψ.... βυτ ι ηαvεν’τ ψετ φουνδ ανψτηινγ ξλασσιξαλ ωηιξη ρελατες το σεα καψακινγ φορ σομε ρεασον........ (ανδ τηε αστρονομψ ‐ vερψ αματυρε, αξτυαλλψ ‐ ις εσπεξιαλλψ ξοολ ιν ωιννιπεγ ιν τηε ωιντερ, ανδ τηε σεα καψακινγ ις εσπεξιαλλψ ξοολ ιν ωιννιπεγ ιν τηε σπρινγ ωηεν ψου τιπ οvερ ον λαυνξηινγ δυρινγ ψουρ φιρστ παδδλε οφ τηε σεασον.... )κιλμενψ

anglicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by anglicus »

Hello, all,<br /><br />I am "anglicus". About me: Well, I've been doing Latin on and off for about ten years now. I started teaching myself in high school (for those interested, I learned mainly off of 'Latina Pro Populo' and 'Teach Yourself Latin' although I worked through Wheelock's (4th ed.) later just for extra practice). I was able to take a couple Latin classes in college (Vergil, Catullus), and have read a fair amount of Cicero, Caesar, a bit of Plautus, and some Nepos on my own.<br /><br />I haven't done much Greek, although hopefully that will change in the future. Right now I'm actually focussing most of my energy on learning German. Languages are one of my principle hobbies. I took four years of Spanish in high school and have also studied Esperanto (please, don't laugh) and a little Sanskrit. French, Japanese and Arabic are also tentatively on "the list".<br /><br />My calling, though (if I have one) is mathematics and I will be starting grad school at UCLA next fall for that... For other hobbies, I listen to a lot of music, try to make music sometimes, read, play chess, and so forth.<br /><br />Anyway, I'm looking forward to being part of the group!

Postuma
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Postuma »

I'm new here, found this site off Nova Roma. I'm Rory, a New Yorker living in Ireland. I practiced Law and now I'm a writer. <br /> I always had a passion for the Classics but wound up studying Russian and French History and Lit in University. So now I'm learning Latin on my own & later Greek. I've the grammar on Learning Homeric Greek.<br /> I speak French, Italian, Spanish, Russian and studied Japanese and Persian. I've been on archeological digs, love History, Go & would really like to travel straight across Europe speaking Latin, well I can have an ambition...<br />

Borborygmus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Borborygmus »

I'm amazed by the diverse and interesting group of people we have here. I'm a medical student in Pennsylvania, U.S., and my goal this summer is to make a sizable dent into the Odyssey (wish me luck). I took an intensive summer class in Greek some years ago, and a semester of intermediate Greek afterwards, but have forgotten everything since then. It looks like I have my work cut out for me. I was somewhat comfortable with Latin at one point in my life, but sadly, that's mostly gone as well. This site is a terrific resource, and I look forward to getting better acquainted with the site and everyone here.<br /><br />P.S. I'm a llama! (apparently)

Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Erica »

Good luck with Homer! <br />Also, at one point I was a llama as well, but in the personal information page you can delete it and put your own little message if you wish.<br />E :D

Vadilius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Vadilius »

Hallo!<br />I’m from Russia. Being a professional linguist, I know Latin grammar better then vocabulary. (Note that classical languages really stay outside the field of my research that includes Finno-Ugric, especially Komi, and Altaic.) Nevertheless, my knowing Latin is enough to understand the main sense of almost every Latin text without dictionary. But as for Greek, I know it much worse; only some grammatical and phonetical features of it, and I don’t understand Greek texts at all.<br />As you understand, if I’m from Russia and write here in English, I must speak Russian and English. :) And furthermore, I know Komi, Turkish, Azeri and Spanish. I also studied some other languages, including German, Finnish and Mongolian, but really cannot talk in them, only read a little. So I can say that studying some exotic (and not so exotic) languages is my hobby.<br />Besides, I’m interested in history, mainly ancient and medieval, and love horses.<br /><br />And about this site – it is really wonderful! I’ve never seen before a web forum where ancient languages are spoken. :) And, of course, the downloadable grammars are great.<br /><br />Best wishes.<br /><br />Vadilius.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

I am a computer programmer living in Michigan. I decided that I wanted to learn a foreign language, because I never really learned one during my school years. So unlike most people here, I don't already know 12 languages. I was considering Latin, as that would give me a better understanding of both modern English and a head start on Romance languages, should I decide to study them. But I decided that Greek has a body of literature that I was more interested in than Latin does. So now I am (slowly) making my way through a few Greek textbooks. I have just learned what an "aorist" is. Third declension, here I come! *grin*
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Erica »

Welcom Vadilius and Lex!<br />This site is a great resource for the books, but the strings and messages are also great so you don't feel "alone" studying -- members have a great sense of humor and are very helpful with queries, as well as cool people to chat with. I hope you enjoy the site.

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Greetings to all of you, members new and old (with late introductions) alike! ;)<br /><br />I would prefer not to be so general, but it's hard to personalise my response to each of you when so many people have introduced themselves in here... which is why I ask that new members please introduce yourself in a new thread - as described in the Rules of this board.<br /><br />Anyway - do enjoy your time here; may you walk away the wiser and make new friends along the way...