M&F Unit 1 Pg35 #19

Are you learning Latin with Latin: An Intensive Course by Moreland and Fleischer? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
mariek
Global Moderator

M&F Unit 1 Pg35 #19

Post by mariek »

<br />I haven't made much progress with Latin these last two weeks so I only have one small question. I couldn't work out #19 on Pg35 of M&F. The second part of the sentence boggles me with it's use of the DAT or ABL. After much revision, this is what I've come up with:<br /><br />Feminae est forma, fama nautae; feminis est forma, fama nautis.<br /><br />Beauty is women, report/opinion of the sailors; beauty is to the women, report from the sailors.<br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:M&F Unit 1 Pg35 #19

Post by bingley »

I think this is the same sentence but with singular and plural datives: <br /><br />Beauty is for a woman, fame for a sailor; beauty is for women, fame for sailors.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I'm no good at latin, but from a pure guesswork on the words methinks it's something like:<br /><br />Beauty is to a woman (what) fame is to a sailor; beauty of women(of other country?) is rumor from the sailors.<br /><br />I must be conjecturing too far...<br /><br />P.S.<br />eh, ... please refute me. ;D

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

bingley wrote:<br />I think this is the same sentence but with singular and plural datives: <br /><br />Beauty is for a woman, fame for a sailor; beauty is for women, fame for sailors.<br />
<br /><br />Thanks, Bingley. So feminae and nautae are Dative! I never considered that possibility. :( What an odd sentence to have to translate. It's definitely the curve ball out of that set. <br />

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Post by Elucubrator »

mariek wrote:<br /><br />Feminae est forma, fama nautae; feminis est forma, fama nautis.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br />Remember that in Latin, est can also mean "there is", hence:<br /><br />For the woman there is beauty, for the sailor fame; for the women there is beauty, for the sailors fame. <br /><br />This is really no different from "the woman has beauty, the sailor fame; the women have beauty, the sailors fame."<br /><br />MF will explain this in Unit 5, on page 88. Look up "dative of the possessor."<br /><br />Better English would say, "the women are beautiful, the sailors famous." <br /><br />An odd sentence, which at face value seems retarded, but perhaps it is an advertisement for some ancient trash romance novel? Perhaps a collection of stories in which (in)famous sailors carry off beautiful women. A commonplace in the ancient world. LOL ;D :)<br /><br /><br />-S.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Elucubrator wrote:<br />MF will explain this in Unit 5, on page 88. Look up "dative of the possessor."
<br /><br />Ah... pg 88. I see! This makes me wonder why they decided to throw in this more advanced sentence early on in Unit 1. It still seems like a very strange sentence. The second part is rather redundant.<br /><br />