Latin Vocab List

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Perkin
Textkit Neophyte

Latin Vocab List

Post by Perkin »

Ah, Hello. Browsing the internet for help with learning latin vocabulary, I came across this list of 1000-odd words compiled by an English examining board - apparently it's supposed to help people prepare for AS-level exams (the kind English and Welsh 17 year olds take). Nevertheless, it's quite nice to see how many words you know:<br /><br />http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Data/ ... C6kb96.pdf<br /><br />Apparently fluent non-native speakers of a modern language know 10000 words...<br /><br /> :P

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:Latin Vocab List

Post by klewlis »

I bought a box of latin vocab cards from VIS-ED and they are great... I don't know if it's the same list as on that site... but I'm basically starting at the front of the box and working my way back... I'm on the c's but haven't been very diligent lately... very helpful tho!<br /><br />
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Hi Perkin!<br /><br />Welcome to Textkit!<br /><br />That's a neat enumeration of words there. I will have to print that out and peruse it during my commute to/from work. I probably won't put it in duo-tang report covers though. I'll probably just use a simple binder clip. Although we do have a heavy-duty stapler at work that can staple through an inch of paper easily.<br /><br />Have you seen the downloadable Latin Grammar and Latin Readers on this site? Just click on Learn Latin above to go there.<br /><br />I hope you enjoy your visit here...<br /><br /><br />

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

klewlis:<br />I bought a box of latin vocab cards from VIS-ED and they are great... I don't know if it's the same list as on that site... but I'm basically starting at the front of the box and working my way back... I'm on the c's but haven't been very diligent lately... very helpful tho! <br /><br /><br />I also have those vocab cards and really like their set-up (side 1: latin word and English derivative, side 2: english definition). Highly recommended for anyone who likes to learn on the go b/c they can be used anywhere, anytime.<br />Visual Education also has Biblical amd Classical Greek vocab cards for those of you more adventurous than myself at the moment. (Greek is on my list though...) Their website is:www.vis-ed.com is anyone is interested.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

yep I have the koine and hebrew sets too!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Ah yes, OCR; I be familiar with those.<br /><br />However AQA is the man. <br /><br />www.aqa.org.uk

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

What a good resource! I didn't realise the boards published word lists in their course specifications. Thanks for that.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Perkin link=board=3;threadid=560;start=0#5030 date=1061994004]<br /><br />Apparently fluent non-native speakers of a modern language know 10000 words...<br />[/quote]<br /><br /> :o...Apparently, I have a long ways to go...I know about two dozen Latin words. :-\ <br /><br />The flash cards are a wonderful idea. I like to make my own flash cards when I'm trying to memorize anything. I actually did this with my own language, to memorize some of the trickier (and, therefore, more impressive :P) words...Latin vocabulary cards are a great idea! (And Greek, too, of course, but this is a Latin forum...) <br /><br />Keesa<br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I think vocabulary cards are a really good idea, though I wrote all mine myself. It’s a hell of a lot of work, but by writing them you've already learned half. I carry a small pack of them around with me, and learn them while I’m on the bus or have nothing else to do. <br />Recently I’ve also found they can be very useful when trying to learn some maths and physics formulas, too.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Like you, Emma, I find that writing down things helps me learn. However I never could get into the good habit of using vocab cards. I seem to learn them best by using them. Guess I'm just not very good at rote memorization.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

When you say using them, I suppose you mean translating them. Or do you sometime translate English- Greek?<br />I learn the meanings of the words better by seeing them in text and translating it, but not all the other bits, like if the word has an irregular conjugation and I have to learn it’s future, aorist, perfect in active and medium/passive, or which cases follow this or that verb...

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I learn words by using them usually in a very silly and immature manner. <br />It seems to have worked in my french class - every one knows "évêque" "Ta Mère" "navet" (turnip) etc! despite how bad they all are!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

When using the words, I mean translating them either by translating something in Latin or creating sentences in Latin. I learn by having to look up words as I'm reading or writing. Well, that goes for the "main" form of the word. As for learning the various declensios/conjugations/etc, well that will only improve as I use all those variations.<br /><br />So I think having a pen pal of sorts actually helps one improve on vocabulary and sentence formation. The sentences you read from your epistolary friend will be unlike anything you will find in textbook drill exercises, so in a sense, you will be exposed to and learn new words and phrases. It is efficacious to the improvement of the mind by such extensive reading. It is equally advantageous to work on creating one's own sentences, it forces one to look up words and phrases.<br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

i'm not very good at writing anything in latin or greek myself, i've very rarely tried as we don't have to at school.