Book recommendation, please

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Artemidoros
Textkit Neophyte

Book recommendation, please

Post by Artemidoros »

Hello to everybody!<br />I did an intensive course in Ancient Greek two years ago and I would like to pick it up again. Could somebody recommend me what Greek author to read in order to review all what I studied? Homer? I would classify myself as an intermediate student. Thanks.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Re:Book recommendation, please

Post by Paul »

Hello Artemidoros and welcome to Textkit!<br /><br />This question comes up fairly often in the Forum and we all seem to have our favorites. My own recommendation would be Clyde Pharr's "Homeric Greek". It will guide you through the first book of the Iliad. Several Forum members have already read it; others are even now working their way through it. Hence you'll be able to get plenty of help here.<br /><br />Of course the same can be said for other texts, so I'll fall back on the chief reason for my recommendation: in language, content, and execution the Iliad is simply magnificent. :)<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul<br /><br />

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re:Book recommendation, please

Post by Bert »

I am going through Clyde Pharr's Homeric Greek right now. I can't really compare it to any other grammar simply because it is the first Classical Greek book I've used.<br />All I can say is -I am learning a lot and I am enjoying myself doing it.- <br /><br />Bert